• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Let us confuse the User by creating an "All Synced Photographs" section in the catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrdavie

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I do not know where to begin. It is one of those "Alice In Wonderland" rabbit holes I have tumbled into. The first item listed in my Catalog is "All Photographs." The second item is "All Synced Photograph." Nope; not true, misleading, confusing. I thought only photographs in a Lightroom Classic Collection could be synced with the multiple device iterations of Lightroom residing somewhere in the Universe, other than on my Computer, which I will refer to as "Lightroom Other. " In the "All Synced Photographs" folder are images that may or may not be in a Collection. Perhaps they were at one time, but not anymore. They may be abandoned in Lightroom Other, but they certainly should not be shown in "All Synced Photographs," because I edited one of the images and no syncing action took place (except in my stomach). So exactly what is "All Synced Photographs" and what has it ever done or will do for me now or in the future?

It's "items synced to Adobe's Lightroom Mobile server".

In "All Synced Photographs" special collection are the images that Lightroom (cloudy) is storing for you in the cloud. They also reside in your Lightroom Classic catalog and a full size image is stored at some location in your file system. If you created a sync collection, then Lightroom Classic is going to send a proxy Smart DNG to the cloud. It will be no more than 2580 pixels on the long edge. It won't count against your plan storage limits (20GB/1TB) If you imported an image to Lightroom Cloudy via your phone camera or from a camera card from a reals camera, then it will be imported full size to the cloud and sync'd back down to Classic from the cloud. It may or may not be in a collection But it will be in the "All Synced Photographs" special collection. In your Lightroom Classic preferences under Lightroom Sync in the Location section will be the local path for all image files that are sync'd down from the cloud to the local computer. You can change this default to a date named folder scheme.

In "All Synced Photographs" special collection are the images that Lightroom (cloudy) is storing for you in the cloud. They also reside in your Lightroom Classic catalog and a full size image is stored at some location in your file system. If you created a sync collection, then Lightroom Classic is going to send a proxy Smart DNG to the cloud. It will be no more than 2580 pixels on the long edge. It won't count against your plan storage limits (20GB/1TB) If you imported an image to Lightroom Cloudy via your phone camera or from a camera card from a reals camera, then it will be imported full size to the cloud and sync'd back down to Classic from the cloud. It may or may not be in a collection But it will be in the "All Synced Photographs" special collection. In your Lightroom Classic preferences under Lightroom Sync in the Location section will be the local path for all image files that are sync'd down from the cloud to the local computer. You can change this default to a date named folder scheme.
Your response was very helpful. Thanks. Just to clarify, when I take a photo with my iPhone and send it to Lightroom, it automatically syncs it with Lightroom Classic without me having to do anything else?

Just to clarify, when I take a photo with my iPhone and send it to Lightroom, it automatically syncs it with Lightroom Classic without me having to do anything else?
Yes, it automatically syncs if:
  • You are signed in with the same Adobe ID in Adobe Creative Cloud on your computer and in the Lightroom app on your iPhone
  • Sync is enabled in the Lightroom app on your iPhone, and in the Lightroom Classic catalog you want your phone to sync with
  • The photo was taken with the camera in the Lightroom app on your iPhone, or if you used a different camera app, Auto Add from Camera Roll is enabled in the Lightroom app
If you want to know where on your computer Lightroom Classic stored a photo file synced down from the cloud, right-click the photo and choose Reveal in Explorer. If you don't like where it got stored, change the sync folder location using the instructions at the end of the last post by clee01. I made it match the storage location setting for my camera card imports.

I thought only photographs in a Lightroom Classic Collection could be synced with the multiple device iterations of Lightroom residing somewhere in the Universe, other than on my Computer, which I will refer to as "Lightroom Other. "
I agree this is confusing. Adobe doesn't help by having incorrect (or should I say "misleading / incomplete") documentation. For example, on this help page Adobe writes: "To sync with Lightroom Classic photos with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom apps, the photographs must be in synced Collections." Apart from the strange grammar, this is wrong. It is absolutely possible to sync photos from Classic without having them in synced collections - you can just drag them into "All Synced Photographs". (OK, if you want to be pedantic you could argue that "All Synced Photographs" actually is a synced collection ...)
In the "All Synced Photographs" folder are images that may or may not be in a Collection. Perhaps they were at one time, but not anymore.
No, "All Synced Photographs" is not a folder, it is really a special collection. You are correct that it will contain images that may or may not be in a (regular) synced collection. For example, if you put an image in a synced collection in Classic, it will be synced to the cloud. If you then remove it from that collection, it will NOT be removed from the cloud. So you might think the image is no longer synced, but it is. You can see this by (i) looking in the special "All Synced Photographs" collection in Classic, or (ii) looking for the little double-headed arrow on the image border in Classic, or (iii) looking in "All Photos" in one of the cloud applications. To remove it from the cloud entirely, you can remove it from the "All Synced Photographs" collection in Classic, or remove it from one of the cloud applications.
... because I edited one of the images and no syncing action took place ...
This sounds strange. If the image is still synced (so it exists in "All Synced Photographs") then an edit should definitely cause a sync to take place. Maybe you blinked and missed it? The best way to check is to use one of the cloud applications to see what is happening. It's often easiest to go to lightroom.adobe.com in a web browser to check these things.

Bottom line: as John said, the "All Synced Photographs" special collection shows you everything that is currently synced to the cloud, and this is regardless of whether they are in regular synced collections or not.

I agree this is confusing. Adobe doesn't help by having incorrect (or should I say "misleading / incomplete") documentation. For example, on this help page Adobe writes: "To sync with Lightroom Classic photos with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom apps, the photographs must be in synced Collections." Apart from the strange grammar, this is wrong. It is absolutely possible to sync photos from Classic without having them in synced collections - you can just drag them into "All Synced Photographs". (OK, if you want to be pedantic you could argue that "All Synced Photographs" actually is a synced collection ...)

No, "All Synced Photographs" is not a folder, it is really a special collection. You are correct that it will contain images that may or may not be in a (regular) synced collection. For example, if you put an image in a synced collection in Classic, it will be synced to the cloud. If you then remove it from that collection, it will NOT be removed from the cloud. So you might think the image is no longer synced, but it is. You can see this by (i) looking in the special "All Synced Photographs" collection in Classic, or (ii) looking for the little double-headed arrow on the image border in Classic, or (iii) looking in "All Photos" in one of the cloud applications. To remove it from the cloud entirely, you can remove it from the "All Synced Photographs" collection in Classic, or remove it from one of the cloud applications.

This sounds strange. If the image is still synced (so it exists in "All Synced Photographs") then an edit should definitely cause a sync to take place. Maybe you blinked and missed it? The best way to check is to use one of the cloud applications to see what is happening. It's often easiest to go to lightroom.adobe.com in a web browser to check these things.

Bottom line: as John said, the "All Synced Photographs" special collection shows you everything that is currently synced to the cloud, and this is regardless of whether they are in regular synced collections or not.
Thank you for your concise but complete explanation.

I just retested an edit. The sync was not instantaneous, but it did sync. I had a Collection to share random photos with Lightroom Other but now I don't need it because of the All Synced Photographs collection.

One more thing. I’ve found additional info on All Synched Photographs in Adobe Lightroom Classic – The Missing FAQ, which can be purchased elsewhere on this website.

Yes, that's the way it used to be for the first few years, i.e. before the All Synced Photographs collection was added to Classic. I've posted a comment to that effect, it'll be interesting to see if they update it.

Oh well done, I was just going to email Rikk about it

My iPhone says all photos syn'c but on my PC only appears a few, especially old ones. Is there a way to rebuild the mobile folder on the PC? Besides, also my iPhones says that I have 15.000+ pictures on Adobe Cloud but my All Synced Photographs folders show 0. May I rebuild that folder?

I relaunch LR and it did it with an empty catalog. Then I opened my current catalog and came back to normal, so please forget my question.

Oh that was quick, well done rrw-condoroma, and welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back