Let the rumour games begin...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm. No public Beta? Scary.

I have been wondering for a while is there isn't a race between Adobe and Apple. Apple withdrew Aperture but announced a free replacement as part of Yosemite of which little is known; it is supposed to be released in the spring. In addition, Lr 5 is having all sorts of performance problems with Apple's new 5K displays which I think they are a game changer. I do wonder if Adobe fears Apple is going to march ahead and leave Adobe behind at least for a while.

Adobe might not want to reveal their cards on a public beta.

When you list "Apps made by Apple" in the App Store, Aperture is listed as a Pro app. iPhoto is listed as an iLife app. It is my understanding that the new Photos app will not be considered a "pro" app but a common user app with a common interface across all Apple platforms replacing iPhoto. I don't see any competition here as Apple has abandoned Aperture and the 'pro' market.

In a surprising change, the next iOS version will be released as a public beta and the new Photos app is currently in public beta. Historically, Adobe has released new versions of LR in public beta but not Photoshop. Lightroom is probably going to be more tightly integrated with the CC family. Perhaps this is a reason why there is no announced public beta. Adobe will need to address the 5k displays much like they had to address the HiDPI (Retina) displays. I am expecting to see something with LR6 in this regard. I also hope to see better integration with LR and Revel and Behance and perhaps a consolidation of the cloud storage for Behance, Revel and LrM.

When you list "Apps made by Apple" in the App Store, Aperture is listed as a Pro app. iPhoto is listed as an iLife app. It is my understanding that the new Photos app will not be considered a "pro" app but a common user app with a common interface across all Apple platforms replacing iPhoto. I don't see any competition here as Apple has abandoned Aperture and the 'pro' market.
Cletus - Have you read through this https://www.apple.com/osx/photos-preview/. Is this a common user app?

Cletus - Have you read through this https://www.apple.com/osx/photos-preview/. Is this a common user app?
Once you wade through the marketing hype, yes it still is a common user app. The develop controls are already available in the iOS app. Would you produce and deliver a wedding shoot on an iPhone? The hype mentions 8 builtin filters (None, Mono, Tonal, Noir, Fade, Chrome, Process, Transfer, and Instant). Do you think those are 'professional' or a gimmicky process to appeal to the instagram crowd? Where are layers, spot removal or other sophisticated tools?

Came here looking for an updated thread on LR6. I gotta say, curiosity is killing this cat. Really hoping for a robust upgrade in performance and tools...and lens corrections for the new 100-400 will be graciously received. I would dearly love to be surprised by seeing focus stacking as well as the reported HDR and Pano features.

Once you wade through the marketing hype, yes it still is a common user app. The develop controls are already available in the iOS app. Would you produce and deliver a wedding shoot on an iPhone? The hype mentions 8 builtin filters (None, Mono, Tonal, Noir, Fade, Chrome, Process, Transfer, and Instant). Do you think those are 'professional' or a gimmicky process to appeal to the instagram crowd? Where are layers, spot removal or other sophisticated tools?

Where are star ratings?

Once you wade through the marketing hype, yes it still is a common user app.
I don't believe any marketing hype from anybody, Apple or Adobe. So I take both Apple's hype and Adobe's hype with a pinch of salt.

There is a rumour widely circulating online that Adobe would make Lr 6 a subscription only software or so integrated into the Creative Cloud that it would not be useful without a subscription; Adobe's marketing has done very little to address this and to subscriptions non-believers, like myself, this is an issue. Any new features tied to a Creative Cloud subscription are of no use to me. I believe the integration with the creative cloud is one of the reasons why "curiosity is killing this cat".

Would you produce and deliver a wedding shoot on an iPhone?
It is not a question of whether I would deliver a wedding shoot on an iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet. It is a question of what I am asked to deliver and to be honest I don't need to stretch my imagination too far to see a scenario whereupon a wedding photo shoot is delivered somewhere in the cloud and viewed with all the devices I just enumerated. Considering most of these devices are not calibrated I can see a colour management version of a dependency hell arising - please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependency_hell. Personally, my favourite way of delivering photographs is through prints but I am already having to change that to avoid becoming a species on the verge of extinction.

Do you think those are 'professional' or a gimmicky process to appeal to the instagram crowd? Where are layers, spot removal or other sophisticated tools?
It depends on how they are implemented. If the only supported format is JPEG, then it is a gimmicky process. If they support non-destructive corrections of RAW files, then I think you are looking at a more professional application.

Where are star ratings?
John - Star ratings are of very limited used to a user like me. Why? Very simple, Lr currently does not allow comparing the ratings I could have given a photo set 4 years ago to the ratings I would give them now. Furthermore, it does not allow me to have several types of ratings, internal and external. In a sentence, something I miss in Lr is a more quantitative way of separating my best work from my average work, my most viewed work from my less viewed work.

John - Star ratings are of very limited used to a user like me. Why? Very simple, Lr currently does not allow comparing the ratings I could have given a photo set 4 years ago to the ratings I would give them now. Furthermore, it does not allow me to have several types of ratings, internal and external. In a sentence, something I miss in Lr is a more quantitative way of separating my best work from my average work, my most viewed work from my less viewed work.
Star Ratings are one of the metadata fields supported in the EXIF standard. What you are suggesting is not in the EXIF Standard. So if these were implemented in LR then it would have to be a Catalog only metadata element. FWIW, I don't use the Star rating in my workflow either.

Perhaps this is a reason why there is no announced public beta.

There haven't been public RC's since the introduction of LR mobile. The whole sync issue makes beta's a lot more risky and complex.

Thanks, Victoria...pretty much what I thought. This is a mature program, alpha testers ought to provide feedback enough at this point.

Quashing rumours

Well March 9th has come and gone. No Adobe announcement...

I still think March 19th is the release date. But I am not sure which year...

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back