Lens Correction Setup Option ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sizzlingbadger

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Does anyone know what the 'Setup' option is for in the lens correction panel ? The Manual doesn't mention it at all.

Nik,

This is a quote of a post from Eric Chan:

Lens "Setup" menu explanation:

• [li]Auto means that you ask CR to find a lens profile automatically for your image, and sets the Correction Amount sliders to 1''. If Auto can’t find a profile for your image, then it sets the profile to “None” (and shows a small warning icon and message explaining this).[/li]

• [li]Default is the same thing, but you can customize it (i.e., custom default for your camera + lens combination).[/li]

• [li]Custom is just that: custom. If you manually change a profile or one of the Amount sliders, you’re doing a custom adjustment, so Setup gets set to Custom.[/li]
Regarding lens vs camera+lens combinations. Generally, Adobe only supplies 1 profile per lens. Differences between cameras (e.g., crop factors) are automatically taken into account when applying the profile.

General usage model: Check the "Enable Lens Profile Corrections" box to apply lens corrections. In many cases, that's all you need to do. If needed, use one of the popups to select/change the profile. If needed, adjust the "Correction Amount" sliders to modify the correction.

Beat

Doesn't PTLens do a better job untill there are LOTS of Camera/Lenses profiles available? And then: I trust PTLens. Adobe collects from all. Brrr..

For me, PT Lens only had about half of my lenses. LR had a few more. What wasn't there I have created for myself using the profiling tool. Now, I have them all. And I don't have to round-trip out to another program.

The argument that PT Lens does a better job until... ignores that anyone can create (and share) profiles that they need-at will. For my part, I won't be leaving PT Lens on the drive much longer.

[quote author=RikkFlohr link=topic=9984.msg67674#msg67674 date=1276'225'']
... For my part, I won't be leaving PT Lens on the drive much longer.
[/quote]

For my part either, one less roundtrip thru TIFF :)

Beat

PTlens = more $$$, more Disk Space = Destructive Edit requires huge TIFFs.

I won't be using lens correction on every shot, this would take away that special look you get from some lenses.

Again,
If I use my 8''/5.6 for generating a correction profile and sent it to Adobe, will Adobe take it and put it in LR? What if I make a big mistake, alter the exif or whatever.

Adobe are not putting the correction profiles in Lightroom. They are providing a website area to share them. People can download the profiles and rate them. Those that suck or have mistakes will get low marks.

Sizzlingbadger, I must be a bit dopey today but I followed your link and cannot see any mention of a profile database, just details about the lens profile creator utility. Have I missed something herr? As a Sony shooter I'm quite keen to get hold of a few Sony related profiles....

Cheers

No, you're not missing anything. There isn't a web interface for the hosted community profiles. They're accessible via the CS5 lens corrections dialog, and hopefully will be accessible via LR or a plug-in before too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back