• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Learning hiccups - advice and help?! Disappearing collections...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minivini

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Twice now, while working with my iPad as the initial source (camera to LRM and building collection from there), my finished mobile collection has disappeared leaving me with no collections on the iPad. Are the collections not saved? They don't appear on either desktop machine (even though LRM indicated that it was syncing). Short of spending another hour and a half completely rebuilding, is there a way to recover a collection??

Hi Minivini. That sounds very odd. At what point exactly did they disappear? Yes, they should be saved if you've created them, both on the iPad and on the desktop. Can you just try creating a collection on the iPad with a few photos and check they sync back to the desktop ok. If not, we need to try some troubleshooting.

The common thread has been "catalog sync" related.

If I boot my desktop (which has seen a marked decrease in use since getting a Surface Pro) and open LR (5.4) I was informed that it was trying to sync with a different catalog. Presuming it was trying to sync my "mobile catalog" (is there such a thing?) I clicked ok and that seems to be what deleted my LRM catalog (collections?) on my iPad and the lightroom.com site. It the happened the second time when the same scenario repeated when I booted my Surface Pro - thus deleting my new iPad collection.

I took me a few days to connect the dots and see the correlation, but I still don't understand the deletions. Is there not a way to keep the collections intact on the iPad and online regardless of the desktop sync? I don't wish to disconnect from my desktop usage totally as that's the most effective way to maintain many terabytes of image files, but I'm beginning to question the effective use of Mobile in conjunction with standard LR.

Any advice ice or suggestions related to this would be greatly appreciated!

I think I'm having this same issue.

I setup a collection on my iPad. It syncs up to my PC desktop LR 5.5 just fine. But when I open LR on my Mac, it insists I sync the local catalogue or it turns the sync off. And when I switch to the local catalogue, it removes all of my previous collections.

I want to sync both my PC and my Mac to my LR Mobile collections but this doesn't seem possible. Am I missing something?

Hi Megamoze, welcome to the forum! No, you're not missing anything - you can (currently, at least) only sync to a single desktop catalog.

Disappearing Collections from iPad LR

I too have suffered this, but in a slightly different way...

• while on the road, I shot about 1800 Raw/JPEG photos
  • then imported them to the iPad Photos library using the official Apple SD card reader
  • imported the photos from the Photos library into LR mobile
  • spent many hours culling (flagging), cropping/rotating as well as some basic trial colour balancing
  • then when I returned home, I hoped to be able to sync my culling and cropping to my Mac
    • ideally on the RAW files - but I have since learned that I can't yet do this - but that's a side issue for now :)
  • I could see that my LR mobile was syncing (by the animated dots at the top right)
  • while iPad synced, I fired up my Mac's LR latest version) - my last project (a desktop only project) was still open, so I created a new Catalog
  • at this point, I can't remember if I was prompted with the "change sync catalog" or not
  • what I do know is that I then looked at my iPad and the 2 collections that were on screen only seconds earlier were now gone! :|

so 2 things:

• what did I do wrong to cause the iPad collections to vanish?
  • and can they be recovered, as there's a good 8 hours of work there that I would dearly love back

thanks in advance for any advice
Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back