Large Catalog Performance Issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshua

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
I have both a Macintosh (Core2Duo MBPro) and a Windows XP Desktop (C2Duo as well running at 3.2gigs). The latter is a pretty fast machine w/ 2gb of memory, high end video card etc.

Out of curiosity, I installed Lightroom on my PC and proceeded to import nearly 22''' photos that I've taken since 1999. I had them copy to a new location as I liked the concept of Lightroom being able to catalog them in a more usable fashion.

So here's the question... I find the performance on my Windows XP machine lacking at best. Clicking on folders often takes 5+ seconds to recognize my click and scrolling around can quite jerky. I rendered standard size previews for all my pictures from 2''7 but not the rest of the library yet. Could this be the issue?

Any others thoughts on working w/ libraries this large?

yes making them are std preview might help of you can delete the preview file if need to know where this is let me know
Lowolf

Lowolf or whomever -

Can you explain a little more about what the stand preview is... is this the thumbnail image or the image when you click on it or...?

Thanks!

lowolf;22' said:
yes making them are std preview might help of you can delete the preview file if need to know where this is let me know
Lowolf

Standard preview size is set in the catalog preferences and ought to be larger in pixel width than your screen.
Performance above 1'k images per catalog slows my system down markedly as well. Because of this I run several catalogs generally by year. I anticipate being able to merge them sometime in the future, maybe!!
Optimising the catalog will help as well, but render standard previews first - this will take some time so best to do it in the evening and go to bed. This is generally only a once thing as it is easier to render them on import, that's my experience.

it is a standard set of previews for Thumbnails and Loupe and Fit views. 1:1 previews give you the large 1:1 to 11:1 previews. These will be built on a per image as used basis. Pre-rendering just speeds up the UI for you.

Jeffe Schewe says he does 'Render Standard Previews' and the Selects the images he plans to work on to do 1:1 previews.

Hope this helps.

Don

Hey, double dose of help.

Hi, Kiwi!

;)

Don

Gidday mate on a lovely sunny spring day......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back