• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Laptop Performance Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfaucher

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: Windows 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Lightroom version: CC 2015.13 [ 1141928 ]

I have a laptop with 16GB of memory - you can see the detail at the bottom. LR runs ok until it consumes about 2GB of memory... then it crawls, blinking at me while it tries display the current screen. This happens about 15-30 minutes after LR startup. It's thrashing as if it's starved for memory. However I'm typically at 40% real memory consumption. If I manage to kill and restart LR I can get another 15-30 minutes of operation before it starts blinking at me again. I'm operating on a catalog with about 8K images and smart previews. Is anyone else seeing this behavior? WIll upgrading to CC Classic fix this? Thanks.

Lightroom version: CC 2015.13 [ 1141928 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Windows 10
Version: 10.0
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 2.2 GHz
Built-in memory: 16235.3 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16235.3 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 510.1 MB (3.1%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 568.8 MB
GDI objects count: 375
USER objects count: 1591
Process handles count: 1394
Memory cache size: 222.0MB / 3828.3MB (5.8%)
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 3
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 87MB / 8117MB (1%)
System DPI setting: 240 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3200x1800
Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No
Graphics Processor Info:
Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 540
Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: Intel
Version: 3.3.0 - Build 21.20.16.4664
Renderer: Intel(R) Iris(TM) Graphics 540
LanguageVersion: 3.30 - Build 21.20.16.4664

Do you know how to use the W10 resource monitor to find out if it is LR that is consuming resources or something else? You get to it from the task manager and have to have admin permissions to open it.

Yes - I'm using the performance monitor to track memory usage. However when LR starts 'blinking', so does every other open window as each process gets swapped in and out, including the performance monitor. I increased the Windows swap file size from 2048 MB to 8192 MB but it doesn't seem to have an effect. LR starts swapping out at just above 2300 MB of memory usage.

Yes - I'm using the performance monitor to track memory usage. However when LR starts 'blinking', so does every other open window as each process gets swapped in and out, including the performance monitor. I increased the Windows swap file size from 2048 MB to 8192 MB but it doesn't seem to have an effect. LR starts swapping out at just above 2300 MB of memory usage.

Increasing the swap file size could easily make the problem worse. A swap file is more about having multiple programs open at the same time, swapping in and out the one in the foreground. Increasing the swap file size for a single program will cause (eg LR) to assume there is more RAM than is available and thus your machine has to work very hard constantly swapping off disk. This is a bad idea. Let W10 manage your swap file, it will likely do a better job. Better, fit a lot of RAM and have no swap file at all.

I run Lr on a laptop with 16GB Windows 10 just fine.
I suspect something is consuming memory. Try this open Task Manager, switch to advanced mode. And sort on memory. See if you have background or hidden processes that are killing you. I have a few forum websites I visit that auto refresh the browser window by default. I have to close those browser windows or Chrome consumes too much memory.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back