• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

    To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 18 October 2022 It's Lightroom update time again and there's a new AI-based Masking tools and a new Content-Aware Remove Healing tool, as well as smaller features, new cameras, lenses and bug fixes! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

KW information lost during Write/Read metadata operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
May 9, 2015
Messages
1,421
Location
Palo Alto, CA
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
11.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Potential bug in Write and/or Read Metadata operation. It seems that if I Save metadata to files and then read it back something gets lost related to keywords in the process. I’d like someone else to see if they can duplicate this before I put in a bug report. I’m running LrC 11.2 on Windows/10.

Steps


1) 4 images have KW “1971”. If I click on the right arrow on the keyword line in the keyword list, it sets a metadata filer for the KW and shows me the 4 images.
1644453712598.png


2) So I could find them again for a later step, I added them to the Quick collection. This step is not Germaine to the problem.

3) Save Metadata to files
1644453759464.png


4) With same 4 files still selected, and metadata filter still active, Read Metadata from files
1644453790362.png


5) As the “Read Metadata” process runs, each of the 4 images disappears from the grid, one by one, leaving the grid saying “No Photos Found”. However, the count in the metadata filter still says 4 as does the count on the keyword line
1644453841591.png


6) If I go to the Quick Collection to get to the images and turn off the metadata filter and select the same 4 images, the check mark appears on the keyword line indicating that these images still have the KW
1644453874854.png


7) If I turn off the metadata filter and turn it back on, nothing changes

8) If I turn off the metadata filter off (so images show again) and turn on a text filter for KW contains 1971, the images stay visible. So, the text filter can see that the images have this KW, but the Metadata filter cannot see that the images have the KW (doesn’t show them in the grid) even though the count in the metadata filter implies that it can see the KW on those images.

9) But, if I then turn the metadata filter back on, the images once again disappear

10) However, If I click the check mark on the keyword to disassociate the KW from the images then click it again to re-associate the images with the KW, all is right again and turning on the metadata filter shows the 4 images
1644453933250.png


Thanks -- Dan
 
Joined
Apr 3, 2012
Messages
1,855
Location
Bay Area, California, USA
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
I can reproduce what you're seeing.

I was thinking of a similar but not identical bug:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...after-edit-in-photoshop/idc-p/12688401#M31929

After editing a raw file in PS and saving it, the Keyword column in the Metadata browser doesn't update properly to show the new TIFF or PSD. It may be the two symptoms have the same underlying cause (not updating the Metadata browser correctly after reading keywords from disk), but they could be separate. So I suggest submitting a new bug report.

With the other bug, restarting LR fixed the inconsistency.
 
Joined
May 9, 2015
Messages
1,421
Location
Palo Alto, CA
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Thanks for checking John. i submitted the issue on the Adobe site but Rikk changed it from "bug" to "discussion" in order to "make it more visible". at first I tried posting to the feedback forum but it doesn't seem to be open to new posts and said to use the regular discussion forum, so that's what I did.

I reboot my computer every night and the problem persists from day to day so that idea didn't clear the problem.
 
Joined
Apr 3, 2012
Messages
1,855
Location
Bay Area, California, USA
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Rikk changed it from "bug" to "discussion" i
It's been changing, but I think their new bug workflow is to move newly submitted bug posts to Discussions, then they try to verify it, and if it's verified, move it to back to Bugs. I'm guessing that they want Bugs to be just verified and submitted bug reports, but I could be wrong about the rationale.
 
Joined
Sep 29, 2007
Messages
23,957
Location
Isle of Wight, UK
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
It's been changing, but I think their new bug workflow is to move newly submitted bug posts to Discussions, then they try to verify it, and if it's verified, move it to back to Bugs. I'm guessing that they want Bugs to be just verified and submitted bug reports, but I could be wrong about the rationale.
Yes, that's the impression I've got from my conversations too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top