• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Keywords...part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkjunkie

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I do a lot of shooting at several different motorsport tracks. So a lot of my collections are simply all the images from a given date. Lot of the collections have images with duplicate keywords, one of the duplicate keywords has an asterisk next to it. I know that this means some of the images are missing that particular keyword...correct? How do I fix this? Both problems, the images missing keywords and having the duplicate keywords. I am guessing that if all the images in this collection had the keywords the duplicate keyword would not be there? My "mentor" (if you really want to call him that) told me that all I need to do is to select all images, hit the sync button and scroll down to the keyword section, making sure that all the keywords I want are there. Have tried this...it does not fix my problem...What am I overlooking?

An asterix does indeed mean that you have selected multiple images, and that this keyword is not assigned to all of them, only to some of them. To fix it is easy: either manually delete the asterix, or assign the keyword to the selection. You cannot assign a keyword twice, so it doesn’t matter that some images already have the keyword assigned.

Duplicate keywords is another matter. Like I said, you cannot assign a keyword twice, so if you have duplicate keywords then this can only mean that you have the same keyword in two different hierarchies. The easiest solution here is to make sure that all photos in question have one of the two keywords assigned to them, and then delete the other keyword from the keyword list.

An asterix does indeed mean that you have selected multiple images, and that this keyword is not assigned to all of them, only to some of them. To fix it is easy: either manually delete the asterix, or assign the keyword to the selection. You cannot assign a keyword twice, so it doesn’t matter that some images already have the keyword assigned.

Duplicate keywords is another matter. Like I said, you cannot assign a keyword twice, so if you have duplicate keywords then this can only mean that you have the same keyword in two different hierarchies. The easiest solution here is to make sure that all photos in question have one of the two keywords assigned to them, and then delete the other keyword from the keyword list.
Thank you for the explanation. I have a ton of Keyword problems. Will probably let them wait, just try and make sure that I do things correctly, at least as much as I can, from here forward and try and sift thru the train wreck of the past a chunk at a time. Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back