• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Keywords: 'Do Not Export' are exported

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gordon

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have (like Victoria shows in the book) some top level keyword categories for my own use which I don't need or want to include in exported pictures. It appears easy to un-tick/un-check the "Include on Export" option in the keyword editor.

I assumed Lightroom would be keeping 'private' keywords in its database but if you are writing metadata back to the XMP, those keywords are included. So while you can keep private keywords private when exporting from Lightroom, if you edit using another application, or pass your file and XMP to someone else to edit, all your carefully hidden keywords become available for all to see.

Unless the keyword controls are more complex than I think and I've messed up the settings...

All in all this is probably fine when sticking within Lightroom but I wonder if I should just stick with a 'flat' set of keywords so I know exactly what keywords I'm adding!

You didn't mess up anything. Those are 'non-exporting' keywords, and that is not the same as 'hidden' or 'private' keywords.

There is an option to use 'real' private keywords and that is to use the free 'Big Note' plugin from John Beardsworth: Big note – John Beardsworth This does exactly what you described "keep it in the database only"

Those are 'non-exporting' keywords, and that is not the same as 'hidden' or 'private' keywords.

Yes, looks like that's what I discovered! There aren't any hidden or private keywords in Lightroom as far as I can see then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back