• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Keywords "Corrupt"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan_Devon

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 12.2 Subs
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. macOS 13 Ventura
I have exported my keywords from my Win 10 desktop as txt file and have tried to import to my MacBook Pro M1 Pro 2021. The import dialogue "Cannot Import List is Corrupted".
No information as to how it is corrupted. I have tried to import the same file into my desktop, I still get the "Corruption" message so this does not seem to be anything to do with the change in operating systems.
Is there anyway to find where the file is corrupted? Are there any symbols which are not allowed when writing keywords?
The keywording seems to be working on the desktop.
Allan

I have exported my keywords from my Win 10 desktop as txt file and have tried to import to my MacBook Pro M1 Pro 2021. The import dialogue "Cannot Import List is Corrupted".
No information as to how it is corrupted. I have tried to import the same file into my desktop, I still get the "Corruption" message so this does not seem to be anything to do with the change in operating systems.
Is there anyway to find where the file is corrupted? Are there any symbols which are not allowed when writing keywords?
The keywording seems to be working on the desktop.
Allan

The exported List is an ASCII Text file and can be read by any text reader. Take a look at the exported file and if you can not see an issue, then Copy and paste the list in your next reply. I (we) can inspect the KW list for errors. You might also attach the KW txt file to you post so that we can see how it imports to our catalog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The exported List is an ASCII Text file and can be read by any text reader. Take a look at the exported file and if you can not see an issue, then Copy and paste the list in your next reply. I (we) can inspect the KW list for errors. You might also attach the KW txt file to you post so that we can see how it imports to our catalog

Thanks for the very rapid reply.
I have looked at the text file from top to bottom but nothing stood out (however I'm not sure what I am looking for). I do not know if any symbols could corrupt the file, I have not found any reference to proscribed symbols.
The file is attached to this reply but I cannot see any way I can attach to my original post.
I will be away for the next 3 days so any further reply from me will not be until the 5th or 6th depending on jet lag!
Regards
Allan

Attachments

• Lightroom Keywords_2023.txt
    62.9 KB · Views: 67
I received your KW file. I got the same error message when I tried to import into a new catalog. My master catalog KW list imported fine. So it is not a bug in v12.2. I need to look with some detail at the special characters that determine the KW position and type to find out why your KW list is corrupt. I suspect that you have used some special characters in a KW that is throwing things off.

There is at least one illegal character in the KW list. A partial list (down to but not including the ?) imports fine. I'll need to investigate further. The 5th or 6th may be as long as Ill need

Thanks for your time. It would be great to be able to transfer the KW list to my laptop before I start importing new images from my trip. Can partial lists be imported to merge with the original txt file?

Allan

had same problem but discovered several of my KW's had comma's in the KW name. Not sure how they got there, but perhaps they came in with some imported images from camera club members. Once I removed the comma's all was well;

Comma delimited files don't like having commas that aren't delimiters as it makes too many columns.

It sould be nice though if there was a more informative error message rather than the generic "corrupt file" message as "corrupt file" has a very different conotation than "invalid data"

You nailed it. I removed the five commas, and I was able to import the list.

Hal has identified the problem. Just remove the commas from the keywords containing them and the saved file should import for your trip.

Last edited:
A thousand thank yous to all of you! Removed about 5 commas and now have my main KW file established on my laptop in time for my travels. At the airport at 6.00am tomorrow so just in time.
Kind regards
Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back