• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Keywords are missing in the exported catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

murali

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic v9.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
To test, I exported my small catalog (50 pictures each with one keyword). Automatically write changes into XMP in Catalog Settings is checked. When I open the exported catalog on the same machine, the keywords are missing. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Are all keywords missing? When you export a catalog, only those keywords are carried over that are assigned to at least one image that you exported in that catalog. Automatically write changes to XMP has nothing to do with this

20 of the 50 images have keywords. Each of the 20 images has 1 of 3 keywords (11 images have a keyword "Finches", 8 have a keyword "Squirrels" and 1 image has a keyword Junco). When I open the exported catalog, no image has a keyword. Hope this clarifies.

This looks like a bug in 9.1. I get the same result on my Mac. Report it using the link at the top of this page and I will comment on the issue item at Adobe to support your issue.

Well not so fast...

I did the same export again, same files, new catalog created. Keywords were present.

It still could be a bug. but if it is intermittent it will be hard to find.

Try exporting as a Catalog again to a different catalog name, then repeat to a still different catalog to see if the keywords have been applied

Last edited:
I can't reproduce the problem on Windows 10, either.

Thanks for all the insightful comments. I exported the catalog with a different name and this one worked fine. If I export as a Catalog A, keywords are missing. If I export as a Catalog B, all are ok. I did this 3 times (6 exports), the results are the same. If I export as Catalog A, keywords are missing but if I export as a Catalog B, keywords are fine. A.lrcat is 2.148MB and B.lrcat is 2.36MB. Also the number of images exported are different. Catalog A has 26 images and B has all the 50 images. weird.

I can't reproduce the problem on Windows 10, either.
. I have two exported catalogs created from the same set of files. The first one did not have any keywords transferred. The second had keywords transferred that were present in the set of images I chose to transfer. I did not do anything different between the transfers except switch to the new catalog file and switch back to the master.
I exported as another catalog with a different set of images. Keywords present as expected.

I do not know why the first export failed to bring the keywords but it did. I can send you the two catalogs that I created on the same set off images if you would like to see for your self. Quite frankly I was surprised to be able to repeat the OPs problem I have no explanation. however if there is some intermittent bug, it might be advisable to BOLO.

Murali,
What were the names you used? I'm assuming they aren't 'A' and 'B'.

Cletus,
No need to send the catalogues. This sounds like a cool bug. :)

Murali,
What were the names you used? I'm assuming they aren't 'A' and 'B'.

Travel and Test 2.

I deleted both folders and re-exported to Travel and Test 2 and this time I couldn't reproduce the problem. Keywords are fine in both catalogs.

Travel and Test 2.

I deleted both folders and re-exported to Travel and Test 2 and this time I couldn't reproduce the problem. Keywords are fine in both catalogs.

For me it was the first time I used “Export as Catalog “ with v9.1. Every other time after that, I succeeded to get keywords with the export.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weird. It would be worth reporting IMHO, just to get a feel for how many people can reproduce it. We had a few reports of keywords going missing in initial catalog upgrade too, which could well be related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back