• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Keyword updating question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm_fl

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if changing/updating keywords in Lightroom Library mode, should Lightroom automatically update any previously exported images too?
The photographs are not in any collections.
Mine doesn't appear to do so.

Previously exported images? No, of course not.

No, you'd have to export the images again. If you have this problem more often, you could consider a publishing service to your had disk rather than exporting. A publishing service is like an export, where Lightroom does keep track of the exported result. If something was changed, Lightroom will tell you the image needs to be published again.

No, you'd have to export the images again. If you have this problem more often, you could consider a publishing service to your had disk rather than exporting. A publishing service is like an export, where Lightroom does keep track of the exported result. If something was changed, Lightroom will tell you the image needs to be published again.
Ah, Now that is an interesting idea, many thanks, I will look into that.

Hi All,
Can anyone tell me if changing/updating keywords in Lightroom Library mode, should Lightroom automatically update any previously exported images too?
The photographs are not in any collections.
Mine doesn't appear to do so.
If you included the export file in the catalog (i.e. imported or added to the catalog on export) then the metadata in the catalog file will be updated. However the metadata in the file will not be updated unless you sync the catalog metadata back to to the file on the disk.

However the metadata in the file will not be updated unless you sync the catalog metadata back to to the file on the disk.

This is very true. What is worse ...... as time goes by ...... you do not remember which is the version you want to keep. ie. Do you synch from catalog to image or from image to catalog.

If you included the export file in the catalog (i.e. imported or added to the catalog on export) then the metadata in the catalog file will be updated. However the metadata in the file will not be updated unless you sync the catalog metadata back to to the file on the disk.

Yes, that is another way but it is less elegant IMHO. It means duplicate images in your catalog (original and exported version) and you cannot set 'Automatically write changes into XMP' for only those files. You either have to turn this on for all your files, or you have to remember to do it manually. A publishing service was designed to streamline this in a more elegant way.

Phil, if I understand your question then the answer is this:
Export using publish services.
If exportable metadata does change between the master image and any derivatives exported via publish services then publish services warns you of that fact.
There is nothing that Lightroom can do directly about the already published image but you can republish the same image with the updated metadata.

This was the solution which I was endorsing.
Let me know I have misconstrued your query.

Tony Jay

Phil, if I understand your question then the answer is this:
Export using publish services.
If exportable metadata does change between the master image and any derivatives exported via publish services then publish services warns you of that fact.
There is nothing that Lightroom can do directly about the already published image but you can republish the same image with the updated metadata.

This was the solution which I was endorsing.
Let me know I have misconstrued your query.

Tony Jay
Tony,
Thank you. You did understand my question correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back