• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Keyword searches and CAPITALISATION

PatrickC

I use a hierarchical structure for keywording. My top-level keywords are all non-export, and I use a convention of capitalising non-export keywords.

But sometimes I want to add the same word as an exportable keyword. EG under 'WEATHER' I might have the exportable keyword 'weather', which I sometimes want to add and sometimes not, so it can't be the top-level.

Now, when adding keywords, even if I type all lowercase, Lightroom still unhelpfully replaces it with the capitalised version: I type 'weather' but I get 'WEATHER'. It doesn't matter how I try to add 'weather', I get 'WEATHER'. Grrrr!

OK, so maybe I'll go back and change 'WEATHER' to 'WEATHER_' or something. So I put 'WEATHER' in the keyword search. I know there are only, say, 5 images with 'WEATHER' specifically applied because I can see this in the Keyword List pane. But Lightroom gives me all the images which have a keyword below 'WEATHER' - maybe 1,500 - even when I click on the arrow beside WEATHER in the Keyword List pane! How can I identify those which have 'WEATHER' specifically and exclude the other 1,495?

It would really be more helpful if Lightroom would treat capital letters in a controllable manner, so you could choose to search case-sensitive or not, instead of the half-baked approach where you can add words using CAPITALS, lower case or Mixed, but you don't have full control over the way this works.

Patrick Cunningham