• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Just the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes. If you use a custom monitor profile on macOS, note that the Classic performance bug is not yet fixed.

Library module Keyword Philosophy for people?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System:Mac Os El Capitan
Lightroom Version: latest CC
Question or Description of Problem:

More of a philosophy question. How do you keyword people's names?

Initially I started with firstname_lastname but quickly realized that was not particularly useful when looking at the list of keywords and seeking related family members.

In my genealogy stuff we're taught to use lastname_firstname_middlename and for females to use the maiden surname as the lastname and document the marriages separately due to multiple marriages and divorces. That's fine for most paper documents but falls apart when trying to use LR to keyword the images of these people.

I'm thinking of creating a hierarchical structure that mirrors my genealogy folders so
people
family group which is the last name
individual name in format lastname_firstname_middlename(s)
My problem is how to document people whose names change via marriage over the time I have pictures of them.

Before I get too far along in the keywording I wanted to see how other folks handle this.

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have struggled with this also and i choose to use lastname firstname and only use birthnames.
For some people (women) for who i'm used to use their mariaged name, i put these in as synonym.

Dan Marchant

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
[Family Name] [First name] [middle name] nee [maiden name]
If someone changed their name by deed poll or marriage I would just update the family name and possibly add "formerly [old family name]" or alternatively have their previous name in the Synonym section.

rob211

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
And because of the way you need to search for text, some folks use "John_Smith" instead of "John Smith."

I prefer using just the name. Making a hierarchy based on relationships can quickly turn into a genealogy project, or something out of a biology textbook. If I needed a way to find all the Smiths after some had remarried, changed names, etc, I'd use a smart collection. Or in the case of my own family I just make a keyword called "my_family" and add or remove that keyword from people as relationships change.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I routinely use _ and - separators in file names and so for me a keyword needs to have no spaces in it just because that's how I sort and search for things. I like the idea of the full path to the person being shown as the keyword.

Thanks for the suggestions.