• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Keyword list limitation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JML

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
9.2.1 (incl. April 2020 update)
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I don't often use the full keyword list, but just discovered that it truncates. On one computer, it stops at "K", on another (with larger display), it truncates at "S". The same if I go into Metadata filter and use the keyword list there.

Is there a limitation to the number of keyword being displayed or is this a bug? Both of my computers updated to the April 2020 version, not sure if that issue existed before.

Also, is there a way of editing that list other than one keyword at a time? I'd like to purge a lot of them, but don't want to right-click, select delete and then confirm that. It would take hours.

Thanks for any pointers.

I believe there is a limit of something around 2000 (2048?) in the list function that is a part of the OS API that Lightroom uses

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a long-standing bug in Windows LR that silently limits the Keyword List (and the Folders and Collections panels) to display about 1500 items. LR fails very ungracefully once you exceed that limit.

The workaround is to introduce hierarchical keywords and keep most of the hierarchy collapsed at any one time, so no more than 1500 are showing at any one time. See this post for a trick to make it easier to create the hierarchy:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/i_cannot_access_the_whole_keyword_list_to_edit?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][reply_id]=20065740#reply_20065740

To delete many keywords at once, click the first one and shift-click the last, or control-click additional ones. Then click the "-" button at the top of the Keyword List panel. (Another bug -- if you select multiple keywords, right-click Delete will only delete the one keyword you've right-clicked.)

Please add your constructive opinion and Me Too vote to this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/i_cannot_access_the_whole_keyword_list_to_edit

Who knows, Adobe might eventually fix this, or at least issue a warning to the user.

There's a long-standing bug in Windows LR that silently limits the Keyword List (and the Folders and Collections panels) to display about 1500 items. LR fails very ungracefully once you exceed that limit.

The workaround is to introduce hierarchical keywords and keep most of the hierarchy collapsed at any one time, so no more than 1500 are showing at any one time. See this post for a trick to make it easier to create the hierarchy:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/i_cannot_access_the_whole_keyword_list_to_edit?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][reply_id]=20065740#reply_20065740

To delete many keywords at once, click the first one and shift-click the last, or control-click additional ones. Then click the "-" button at the top of the Keyword List panel. (Another bug -- if you select multiple keywords, right-click Delete will only delete the one keyword you've right-clicked.)

Please add your constructive opinion and Me Too vote to this bug report in the official Adobe feedback forum:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/i_cannot_access_the_whole_keyword_list_to_edit

Who knows, Adobe might eventually fix this, or at least issue a warning to the user.
Thank you, this is very useful!

After deleting a bunch of keywords from the beginning of the list, I can now see entries through "G", telling me that this is either a bug or limitation. It doesn't tell you how many keywords there are, even you highlight them all, but I have counted roughly 1700 of them. Not a number that strikes any resembles with an exponent of 2, but confirming the number of Johnkellis.

I have counted roughly 1700 of them. Not a number that strikes any resembles with an exponent of 2
Geeking out: The maximum size of a low-level window is 2^15 = 32,768. On my Windows LR, each line in Keyword List panel is 20 pixels high. (Take a screenshot and magnify it in Photosohp.) So that's a maximum of 32,768 / 20 = 1638 lines. I'm not sure if the filter box at the top of the panel is part of the same low-level window or is separate.

Reactions: JML
Also, you can do the menu command Metadata > Export Keywords to get a text file with all your keywords.

Also, also, you can do Metadata > Purge Unused Keywords to delete all keywords that aren't assigned to any photos.

Also, you can do the menu command Metadata > Export Keywords to get a text file with all your keywords.

Also, also, you can do Metadata > Purge Unused Keywords to delete all keywords that aren't assigned to any photos.
Thanks both useful! Is there any way to sort by the number of entries in keywords? I would like to highlight and delete all the keywords with only one entry...

Only by a plugin like my Search and Replace, and it's filtering rather than sorting.

On your overall problem, the keywords are all present but are not displayed. Maybe introduce some hierarchy into your keyword list? So add some parent folders and put the actual keywords under them. I doubt Adobe will ever solve the problem, but how often does one scroll down a long keyword list? It's a lot easier to use the Keywording list's filter box to get to keywords.

Only by a plugin like my Search and Replace
I think JML wants to find all keywords that are assigned to exactly one photo? But Search Replace Transfer filters photos by the number of keywords assigned to a photo, which is different. Or did I misunderstand?

Only by a plugin like my Search and Replace, and it's filtering rather than sorting.

On your overall problem, the keywords are all present but are not displayed. Maybe introduce some hierarchy into your keyword list? So add some parent folders and put the actual keywords under them. I doubt Adobe will ever solve the problem, but how often does one scroll down a long keyword list? It's a lot easier to use the Keywording list's filter box to get to keywords.
Thank you, I started that after seeing it as a work-around everywhere. That works to some extent, I just need to be more diligent about not creating onsies and twosies. I believe the correct syntax to enter a NEW keyword under an existing topic is neword < _Topic, correct? It doesn't seem to pre-populate the existing topics, I needed to type it in correctly, making for more potential mistakes.

Where do I get your plugin?

I think JML wants to find all keywords that are assigned to exactly one photo? But Search Replace Transfer filters photos by the number of keywords assigned to a photo, which is different. Or did I misunderstand?
Correct, that is what I meant. Easy way to diminish the keyword list by eliminating those.

I adapted a previous script to help you remove these keywords. Download it from here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hvjestl5xdz71sz/unique-keywords.lua?dl=0
Make sure you backup your catalog before running it!!!

From the top of the file:
This script finds all keywords that are assigned to exactly one photo and
removes those keywords from the photos. You can then delete those
keywords by doing Metadata > Purge Unused Keywords.

If you want to find the keywords assigned to one or two photos, change
the value of PhotoCount below from 1 to 2.

To install this script:

1. In LR, do Preferences > Presets > Show All Other Presets, which opens Mac
Finder / Windows File Explorer on LR's presets folder.

2. Create the subfolder Scripts if it doesn't already exist.

3. Place a copy of this file in that folder.

4. Restart LR.

5. Run the script via the Scripts menu on the right end of the menu bar (it's
a scroll icon on Mac).

Yes, it counts the number of keywords applied to photos, which I find useful for boosting my keywording, and also the length of the total keywords string which was limited by some stock agencies.

We try not to be mercenary here, but the plugin is in my signature.

John

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 00.37.51.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-17 at 00.37.51.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 248
It may be that I misread your post as trying to add more keywords rather than rationalize them!

Has this issue of a limitation on how many keywords Lightroom displays on Windows been fixed (either by Adobe or by Microsoft)? I had that listing limitation and saw only about 1700 keywords. After reading up on here, started using nested master keywords. Since I have been doing that, I can now see all of my remaining keywords and it is about 2800 (3300 in all, including the nested ones)!

LR CC Classic, Windows 10, latest everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back