• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Keyword legal characters. which ones can I use?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I can't to find the rules for which characters are legal to use when creating Keywords. I take lots of pictures of dogs and try to keep track of the dogs name it's. The format I like to use is
"Dog name_k9-Owner name". When I don't know the owner's name I would like to just put a question mark. Also is it ok to use spaces. I have been doing my keywords this way but sometimes the search come out incomplete.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I can't to find the rules for which characters are legal to use when creating Keywords. I take lots of pictures of dogs and try to keep track of the dogs name it's. The format I like to use is
"Dog name_k9-Owner name". When I don't know the owner's name I would like to just put a question mark. Also is it ok to use spaces. I have been doing my keywords this way but sometimes the search come out incomplete.
Sorry for the incomplete sentences. My computer is jumping around for crazy reason.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
There are no illegal characters for keywords, but you may find that you can’t search on certain characters. Don’t use a question mark, because I don’t think you can search on that. Spaces can be used just fine for keyword phrases, but be aware that Lightroom searches for the individual words in those phrases, which may become tricky. For example: if your search for “John Doe”, then you will also find photos of Jane Doe and John Smith.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
There are no illegal characters for keywords, but you may find that you can’t search on certain characters. Don’t use a question mark, because I don’t think you can search on that. Spaces can be used just fine for keyword phrases, but be aware that Lightroom searches for the individual words in those phrases, which may become tricky. For example: if your search for “John Doe”, then you will also find photos of Jane Doe and John Smith.
Thank you John: I have switched to putting a - between first and last name for that reason. I use _ between name and K9 or name and what ever kind of pet it is. I know that prevents the problem that spaces cause.