• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Keyword Hierarchy when importing exported Apple Tiff's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill.fischer5

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have done a lot of keywording in my apple photos. Apple does not have a Keyword hierarchy. Now that I am switching to LRC I have am using a hierarchy. I export my Apple photos as tiff. Then import them into LRC. The keywords are coming in but do not recognize the ones that are lower in the hierarchy. I have not been doing this enough to find ou of it adds to the ones that are at the top of the hierarchy. I am curious about that. Me real question is has anyone found a way to deal with this problem?

I have tried to move them into the hierarchy but LRC will not let me if it matches one that is already there. The ony way I have found so far is to select the new photos for a kw than go the to Kw list and check the matching KW this is in the hierarchy. That adds the photos to it. Then I delete the kw at the top of the hierarchy that was just imported. Is there a less tedious workaround.

I have done a lot of keywording in my apple photos. Apple does not have a Keyword hierarchy. Now that I am switching to LRC I have am using a hierarchy. I export my Apple photos as tiff. Then import them into LRC. The keywords are coming in but do not recognize the ones that are lower in the hierarchy. I have not been doing this enough to find ou of it adds to the ones that are at the top of the hierarchy. I am curious about that. Me real question is has anyone found a way to deal with this problem?

I have tried to move them into the hierarchy but LRC will not let me if it matches one that is already there. The ony way I have found so far is to select the new photos for a kw than go the to Kw list and check the matching KW this is in the hierarchy. That adds the photos to it. Then I delete the kw at the top of the hierarchy that was just imported. Is there a less tedious workaround.

You might want to reconsider moving to a hierarchical keyword structure. The cloud based app Lightroom does not support a hierarchical keyword structure and the support for keywords in the two Lightroom apps is one way one time.

In the file header standard, there is only a flat, keyword field. Adobe has added a hierarchical keyword field but it is not recognized outside of the Adobe environment. When exporting Adobe create both fields in the file header and populates the flat keyword field with elements of the hierarchical keywords in the catalog.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Select all the ones with the Keyword that you want to change to it's place in the hierarchy. Dray them to the lower keyword (the one in the hierarchy), which adds the correct Keyword. Then with them still selected, delete the original keyword.

Cletus - OP is on Classic, not Cloud, they are coming from Apple photos, not Lightroom Desktop.

Cletus - OP is on Classic, not Cloud, they are coming from Apple photos, not Lightroom Desktop.

I know where the OP is trying to develop a Keyword scheme since Lightroom Cloudy does not support hierarchy. I am just pointing out that hierarchical keywords are not supported except in Lightroom Classic and not is Apple Photos were they are migrating from. They might want to rethink the key wording plan since no where else are hierarchical keywords recognized. Flat Keyword scheme should migrate over as is from Apple Photos saving a lot of head aches.

My apologies, Cletus. I just didn't see where Lightroom Cloud fits in, but I understand - perhaps make the choice to use Cloud as it's like Apple Photos with no hierarchy.

The ony way I have found so far is to select the new photos for a kw than go the to Kw list and check the matching KW this is in the hierarchy. That adds the photos to it. Then I delete the kw at the top of the hierarchy that was just imported. Is there a less tedious workaround.

That's the only way. Or just leave them as they are, and take your time adding them to a keyword hierarchy - just when you have a specific need to tidy up.

I'm not a big fan of hierarchical keywording, though not because of the reasons already mentioned. They can make some sense in Lightroom, and it doesn't really matter than few non-Adobe applications support them, while I wouldn't use Cloudy Lightroom's weaknesses to dumb down how I use Lightroom.

Whow! thank you Paul and Cletus:. This is going to take lot of thought on my part. I have a lot of hierarchical keywords in LRC which is y main source of rough and organization.. I use LR just for collections for my wife to do some preprocessing and culling. I also send completed collections I want to share. I really have little need for keywords in LR but I use them all the time in LRC. Perhaps I will from this time forward need to do all kW"ing in LRC and only use Kw"s in Apple to prepare the exports to LRC. I already have to do the with videos as KW's do not import. Alternatively I could set LR to auto import the apple photos and then KW the in Lrc in the hierarchy. My question is are the original hard copy negatives in LRC and Finder i end up with better if I export to finder than Import manually directly into LRC ? Will the originals end up the same if if they autoimport to LR and then sync down to LRC?

One consideration is when I send photos in collections to LR they do not count towards my storage. (though that is not a big concern for me.

My main reason for wanting a hierarchy is because I have limited vision which makes it hard to scan through long lists. I use the Keyword list panel on the right a lot when looking for a keyword or to see if all my selected photos have been applied. I am interested in the pro's and cons of using a KW hierarchy vs flat.. There seems to be s lot of controversy. Can anyone recomend a good discussion on this subject. I realize it depends on how people use their photographs and how they think about them.

One consideration is when I send photos in collections to LR they do not count towards my storage. (though that is not a big concern for me.

My main reason for wanting a hierarchy is because I have limited vision which makes it hard to scan through long lists. I use the Keyword list panel on the right a lot when looking for a keyword or to see if all my selected photos have been applied. I am interested in the pro's and cons of using a KW hierarchy vs flat.. There seems to be s lot of controversy. Can anyone recomend a good discussion on this subject. I realize it depends on how people use their photographs and how they think about them.
Photos hosted by LrC are sent as proxy images with a long edge of 2560px. These do not count against your plan storage limits. You can sync your whole LrC Catalog to the cloud and not use any of the storage plan.
You do not need to scan through long Keyword lists. At the top of the Keyword list panel is a search field. Type in a few letters and the list will scroll to the first match and highlight all matches for the letters that you type in.

FWIW, I had a significant LrC hierarchical Keyword list. I decided that I could use Lightroom (cloudy) as a front end and as a showcase for my Lightroom Classic Collections. Then I discovered that incompatibilities of keyword systems between Lightroom and Lightroom Classic make keywording effectively limited to LrC.
Lightroom offers great mobility when used as a front end import process in the field and I had to reconcile the keyword issues. I decided to abandon the hierarchical keyword structure in LrC. And due to the one way keyword exchange between LrC and Lr. I import in Lr and do not apply keywords until the images are sync’d to LrC and apply a flat keyword structure in LrC.

That's the only way. Or just leave them as they are, and take your time adding them to a keyword hierarchy - just when you have a specific need to tidy up.

I'm not a big fan of hierarchical keywording, though not because of the reasons already mentioned. They can make some sense in Lightroom, and it doesn't really matter than few non-Adobe applications support them, while I wouldn't use Cloudy Lightroom's weaknesses to dumb down how I use Lightroom.
thank's John: I think I will take you suggestion for the time being while I reconsider my workflow. One thought: Is there a way to enter the hierarchy in the apple KW using the upper levels with ">" separating them>. Example:: Who>Dog>Buster_k9-Joan-Ashburn. buster is the dog, Joan Ashburn is the owner. Or Jims_family>Sara&John>James-Ashburn. James is Jim's grandson. It was recommended earlier in this post that while not illegal I should not use the &. What is the drawback of using in? It is much shorter to use "& " than "and"

Photos hosted by LrC are sent as proxy images with a long edge of 2560px. These do not count against your plan storage limits. You can sync your whole LrC Catalog to the cloud and not use any of the storage plan.
You do not need to scan through long Keyword lists. At the top of the Keyword list panel is a search field. Type in a few letters and the list will scroll to the first match and highlight all matches for the letters that you type in.

FWIW, I had a significant LrC hierarchical Keyword list. I decided that I could use Lightroom (cloudy) as a front end and as a showcase for my Lightroom Classic Collections. Then I discovered that incompatibilities of keyword systems between Lightroom and Lightroom Classic make keywording effectively limited to LrC.
Lightroom offers great mobility when used as a front end import process in the field and I had to reconcile the keyword issues. I decided to abandon the hierarchical keyword structure in LrC. And due to the one way keyword exchange between LrC and Lr. I import in Lr and do not apply keywords until the images are sync’d to LrC and apply a flat keyword structure in LrC.

Cletus: What happens to your kW's that you have added in LRC after syncing down from LR. My understanding is that they will not sync back up to LR. Is that correct, or do you delete the synced photos from LR and then re sync then back up to LR with the kw's and no storage usage?

I don’t subscribe to that recommendation to not use space to “&” for that matter The Keyword field is a Phrase. “Jack & Jill had a Little Lamb” is an example of a single keyword phrase People run into difficulty searching for multiple KWs to multi worded KW phrases. Using the text search filter bar with multiple words on one line separated by spaces. The Query constructor uses the space and the logical “AND”

The default KW separator is the comma (,) The Alternate is space. I use the comma which assigned Houston,TX as two separate keywords and “Jack & Jill had a Little Lamb” as one KW Phrase.
The Smart Collection is much more versatile for performance multi value searches since to have the flexibility to use “AND” and “OR” constructs.

Cletus: What happens to your kW's that you have added in LRC after syncing down from LR. My understanding is that they will not sync back up to LR. Is that correct, or do you delete the synced photos from LR and then re sync then back up to LR with the kw's and no storage usage?

That is correct your LrC keywords will sync the first time you sync _from_. LrC to Lr. but not again if you add additional KWs in LRC or back from Lr to LrC. That is why I save my KW part of my workflow to the file in LrC. I am only needing KWs in LrC and on export from LRC

thank you everyone for your help. I will put :_, -, & with no space for KW's that I want to easily be found without cluttering of other unwanted data.

from this discussion I am currently thinking that I will have a hybrid system for muy LRC kW's. There are some types of KW's that hierarchy really helps. A god example is elitives. in a large family with several generations names ge repeated so much that knowing which branch you are referring to is critical. I will have to think about other categories that might be useful. Most other things might be fine in a flat list.

As i mentioned earler I like to look at the left hand side panel to see which KW's are checked when I select a group of pictures. It is very quick to correct mistakes that way so having thins in like categories makes it easy to see what is going on. This may be because I come from the early days of DOS file trees.

I will have some flat top level KW's while I am not getting to putting them in the hierarchy. If I import more Apple photos with any of those KW's will the be applied to the existing one? If they are not added to the existing KW's what will happen to them?

Any import that has included keywords will add any new keywords to the keyword list and assign and matching KWs fro the current list. You will not lose KWs. Since they are from a flat KW source on import, they will be added to the top level of any hierarchy (In reality a flat level is a Hierarchial level KW list with all parents and no children

Any import that has included keywords will add any new keywords to the keyword list and assign and matching KWs fro the current list. You will not lose KWs. Since they are from a flat KW source on import, they will be added to the top level of any hierarchy (In reality a flat level is a Hierarchial level KW list with all parents and no children

Thank you Cletus: This is very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back