• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Keyword Heirarchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris-bishop

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System:Win 7 64 bit

Lightroom Version: CC
(Please go to Help menu > System Info to double check the exact version number)

Question or Description of Problem: Cannot add to parent from child. If I drag a photo to a child keyword (Heron) it isn't added to the parent (Bird)

Is there already a keyword "Heron" or "heron" that is already a child of "Bird"? If not, when you drag "Heron" over "Bird" does the keyword "Bird" turn blue? When it does, that is your signal to drop the keyword onto "Bird"

Is there already a keyword "Heron" or "heron" that is already a child of "Bird"? If not, when you drag "Heron" over "Bird" does the keyword "Bird" turn blue? When it does, that is your signal to drop the keyword onto "Bird"
If I add it to Bird, it is OK. I want to add it to heron, and it automatically bee added to bird, rather than two actions

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I understand now that you are dragging image to keyword, not creating a hierarchy by dragging keyword onto the keywords.
If you hierarchy looks like this:
Bird
....Heron

When you assign Heron to an image using any method, The parent (Bird) is automatically assigned. You will see this inclusive list in the keyword field of the exported JPEG. You can also see the expression of this in the Keyword List panel and the Keywording panel. If you highlight the image thumb nail for the affected image the keyword in the Keyword list panel will have a check mark just left of the keyword. The parent keyword (Bird) will have a dash to the left of it indicating that child keywords are assigned for this image.
In the Keywording Panel, there is a dropdown list box, with the default list item "Enter Keywords" selected. If instead you change that dropDownListBox to "Keywords & Containing Keywords" you will see the keywords and the parent keywords listed. you only need to assign the child to get the containing parents assigned also.

OK. That all makes sense, except the number next to Bird does not increase when adding Heron. clicking to the right of Bird does not bring up all the Birds tagged.

The number behind 'Birds' only indicates the photos that were specifically assigned with that keyword, not photos that were only assigned one or more child keywords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back