• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Keyword Heirarchy Question for Actions or Descriptive words

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammer88

Hi all, quick question about heirarchy. Trying to brainstorm on how to organize my library better. Places/People/Events/Animals/etc are pretty straight forward. But how do some of you organize the more descriptive words like "running", "eating", "birth", "rehearsal", "bath", "pregnancy".
Would I just slap some of those under an Activity tag? and slap some of those under the Event tag?
Where would "condo" or "apartment" go? Places? Things?

I'm not trying to be flippant, but the tags go wherever you think makes most sense to put them. :icon_mrgreen:

Tags are primarily used to help you find things, so it doesn't really matter where I would put them, or where anyone else would put them, or what my hierarchy is. Your tags and hierarchy has to work for you.

[quote author=hammer88 link=topic=7684.msg52526#msg52526 date=1251653111]
Hi all, quick question about heirarchy. Trying to brainstorm on how to organize my library better. Places/People/Events/Animals/etc are pretty straight forward. But how do some of you organize the more descriptive words like "running", "eating", "birth", "rehearsal", "bath", "pregnancy".
Would I just slap some of those under an Activity tag? and slap some of those under the Event tag?
Where would "condo" or "apartment" go? Places? Things?
[/quote]I have an "Activity" higher order to catch items like Running, eating, bath etc. I also have an Event to catch things like Birth, wedding>rehearsal, Play>rehearsal, Birth>rehearsal etc. I don't have a "Condition" which seems would be appropriate for Pregnant (or Bald or Fat, tall, etc.) Although it could fit People>Amy>Pregnant

Although if I read your tags in a certain frame of mind, I might have a People>Amy>Birth>Pregnancy> People>Little Rick>Birth> People>Amy>Birth>rehearsal

Some people adopt the who/what/why/where/when approach. My take on this is three top-level keywords for who (who is in the picture), what (what is in the picture), why (why was the picture taken). And then I do the where with IPTC location fields, and when is already in the EXIF.

i'm leaning towards clee's approach.

but erro... please specify where you might put some of those words like rehearsal, or running, brushing teeth, or pregnant. do you just have 5 top categories and a flat level of many keywords under that?

[quote author=hammer88 link=topic=7684.msg526'5#msg526'5 date=1251784'75]
i'm leaning towards clee's approach.

but erro... please specify where you might put some of those words like rehearsal, or running, brushing teeth, or pregnant. do you just have 5 top categories and a flat level of many keywords under that?

[/quote]

I'm still working on my hierarchy, and so far only have the "who" top-level for peoples names. My idea is to use a "what" top-level to include keywords to describe important things in the image, such as boat, sea, flower, mountain... nouns mostly. Then also have a top-level for "why" to describe why the image was taken (what is happening in the image), such as your examples of rehersal, running, brushing... verbs mostly. Quite possible I will also use sub-levels within the catagories. Maybe also a top-level for "genre" where I can mark images as nature, streetphoto, art, architecture etc.

Another use of the top-levels is that they serve as an indication on wheter I've judged this image regarding "what" or "who" for instance. If I don't have the "who" top-level, how will I know what images I have left to tag for people? For this purpose I also have a "no-one" keyword within the "who" category, for the images where there are no people. This makes it easy to create a smart collection where "keywords doesn't contain who" to automatically see all images not tagged for people.

yes... the who, where are easiest.. what isn't too bad... the rest.. .sigh...

where does one categorize emotion? like surprised? happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back