• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Keyword filter smart collection seems not to work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinky

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi all,

I am trying to create a smart collection that will show me all photo's containing a particular keyword and none of a number of other keywords. So the rules for this collection are
  • Show all of the following rules
    • Keyword contains X
    • Keyword does not contain Y
    • Keyword does not contain Z
    • etc
The resulting collection appears to only look at the "does not contain" rules and to ignore the "contains" rule. So it seems to be acting as if I specified to follow any rule.

Is this a bug or am I misunderstanding smart collections ?

Try constructing the query on one line using the not token (!)
{Keyword}{contains}{ X !Y !Z}
and see if you get better results.

I agree the Match {all} should return only images that have the keyword X but only if they do not have the keyword Y or Z

But without an example using real keywords and images were returned that did not seem to match the above query. It is difficult to say where your logic breaks down. The problem may be that LR uses phrases and matches characters not real words when using the "contains" clause rather than the "contains all" or "contains words" clause. Here is an example of two clauses that cancel each other but are constructed like your example.

{Keyword}{contains}{testicle}
{Keyword}{does not contain}{test}

Thanks for this. When I change the first rule from "contains" to "contains all", it works as I would expect

Try constructing the query on one line using the not token (!)
{Keyword}{contains}{ X !Y !Z}
and see if you get better results.

[Snipped]

{Keyword}{contains}{testicle}
{Keyword}{does not contain}{test}

I'm bogged down trying to resolve the issue that Lightroom CC 2017 does not make available (afaik) a "doesn't contain words" condition in the rules for creating Smart Collections. (I am new to Lightroom: finally moving a few large databases from Aperture. I am an Aperture Certified Pro.)

Three questions:

1. How do I use something like "{Keyword}{contains}{testicle}" to make a Smart Collection? IOW, how does one "construct a query on one line"?
{Added: Nevermind re: #1. I understand what your notation indicates.}
2. One database I'm immigrating has an entire family of keywords which are differentiated by prefixes and suffixes (let's use "eat", "seat", "eater" and "seater"). _Including_ the _exact_ keyword in a Smart Collection query is possible by use of the condition "Contains word". How can I exclude the exact keyword (but not keywords containing the string of characters that comprise the keyword)? Example: does not contain "eater" but may contain "seater".
3. (Related but not dependent) Does the Lightroom Smart Collection condition "contains word" parse "xyz'abc" as one word or two (is the apostrophe character interpreted as a word boundary)?

Thanks.

Follow-up re: #2:
From clee01l suggestion to the OP, I derived the following, which resolves — afaict — the issue of not having a "doesn't contain words" condition:
{Keywords}{contains words}{A !B !C}

Excellent. Please let me know if I'm overlooking anything.

But ... many of my keywords end "Detail" (e.g.: "HeadDetail", "JacketDetail"). (None of my keywords have spaces or underscores.) Afaict, Lightroom doesn't want to use the word "Detail" as a keyword? Is it restricted? Are any other words?

When I use:
{Keywords}{ends with}{etail}
the Smart Collections work as I expect.

When I use:
{Keywords}{ends with}{Detail}
the Smart Collections seem to ignore that rule.

Capitalization does not seem to make any difference in the rules.

I'm continuing to post to this topic because my questions fit under the topic title.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back