• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Library module Keyword database corruption (Keyword Showing Up Everywhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris_R

Lightroom Version Number
Classic V9.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I think I have exactly the same problem as Patrick Bennett experienced in this thread -

Keyword Showing Up Everywhere

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/threads/keyword-showing-up-everywhere.36526/
I'm starting this new thread as Patrick's has been dormant for a while. Extensive searching online hasn't come up with any similar reports that I can find. I've been aware of the problem for a few months but until now haven't had time to try and address it, also I suspect it was present for some time before I even noticed it (I have backups going back months but they all have the same issue).

I'm struggling with the 'sqlite tool' reference that Philippe Coude du Foresto makes in post 3 - in that I'm a bit out of my depth in finding an app that works for me and that I can make sense of!

My questions are-

Has anyone got suggestions for a simple 'sqlite tool' and any pointers for it's use in this case please?
Anyone else cured the same issue since?
Towards the end of Patrick's thread it appears that neither he nor Philippe could completely clear the issue, was there any further follow up by anyone please?

Thanks for any help you might give

Chris

Simply, I would recommend avoiding any SQL tool unless you already have experience in that area.

First, do an export of the keyword list - Metadata > Export Keywords. Assuming it is the same problem as you quoted (while I will try to help you with your problem, I am not going to review another person's description of their problem) what is your errant keyword? When you open the exported text file, does that keyword appear more than once? You can use Notepad or Excel or Word to open the file.

Thanks John

In my case the problem keyword is 'decoration'. It appears multiple times in 'Enter Keywords' and 'Keywords & Containing Keywords' - eg:

background, close up < decoration, closeup, coast < decoration, coastal, cornish, Cornwall, design, England < decoration, English < decoration, full frame, granite, old < decoration, outdoor, painted, Pattern, Rock, rough, seaside < decoration, seaweed, slabs, stone < decoration, Stone Wall, surface, texture, textured, uk, wall, weathered

It does not seem to appear as an exported keyword in an exported file but is included once in 'Will Export'

When I first noticed this issue some time ago I deleted 'decoration' from my keyword list. I have exported Lightroom keywords as a list and 'decoration' does not appear in that text file.

This looks like the corruption I had once (and fixed the way I explained in the mentioned discussion) . I never new where it came from.
To verify whithout any risk, make a copy of your catalog database (the .lrcat file) and use th sqlite tool against this copy. Check the first record of the table AgLibraryKeyword table. It should contain no keyword text.

Again, I repeat my caution about using any SQL tool if you don't already know how to do so.

I have exported Lightroom keywords as a list and 'decoration' does not appear in that text file.
So you opened the exported text file and did a search in Notepad or another app? I assume so, which would seem conclusive

Have you tried File > Optimize Catalog? Does this clear the problem? It runs a SQL Vacuum command which can clear junk. What if you select all photos and do a File > Export as Catalog. Include previews but not the negatives. Then open this catalogue and see if the problem is still present. If not, this may have purged the problem.

John

Hi John
Yes Notepad. I optimise and backup almost everytime I exit. I did try a limited 'Export As Catalog' yesterday but the problem went along to the new catalog...
I'm trying again on a copy catalog with the suggestion Philippe made with some more promising results and will report back when I know where I stand. Thanks again for your help!

To follow up on this issue.

I had some success with editing the text in the 'lc-name' and 'name' entries in the first row of the table AgLibraryKeyword.
I can report that I now have the 'leading' comma that Patrick Bennett mentions in his original thread post on 25th Feb 2019. I have a much more usable keywording area now however I was not able to resolve the 'comma' issue. It appears at the start of the text block in the 'Keywords & Containing Keywords' and the 'Will Export' boxes. I does go with an export and shows in Lightroom, but not in Bridge or Photoshop or as a Windows explorer Tag (although they all use semi-colons as seperators anyway).

There is no comma in the first row of the table AgLibraryKeyword in sqlite editor (SQLite Editor Personal).

I'm going to live with it for now and see whether any further issues arise....

Thanks for your interest - maybe this extra bit of info will be useful the next time someone asks about the same problem!

Chris,
How did you erase the value in the first record of the table AgLibraryKeyword? Did you erase the fields or did you right click on the fields and select "Null value selected" in the contextual menu? (In computer term, "empty" is a value, but "Null" means no value).
I suspect you used the former (erase the fields). In this case, you have juste emptied the fields. Since the comma is the keyword separator, this would explained your behavior : first, the value of the first record (wich is invisible since empty), then a comma, then the other keywords.
If it's the case, you could try to set these fields to "null" and see if the comma disappears.

Otherwise, I have no idea for the moment !

Brilliant Philippe! I was able to right click into each cell and select (null) from a drop down menu. All looks back to normal now. Thanks very much for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back