• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Keyboard shortcuts non-english computer - Lightroom in English

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marielene Bouyeure

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
Hi all,

I've been looking into this problem, working on a French computer, using LR in English. I did go through the article about this specific subject,
How do I change or create keyboard shortcuts? | The Lightroom Queen
but haven't found the solution, and here's where I don't know how to continue:

6 In the Menu Title field, type the menu command, for example, Build Standard-Sized Previews. You must type the command exactly as it appears in the menu, including ellipses (such as Synchronize Folder…) and any other punctuation. To type an ellipsis, use three periods without spaces.
If you run into problems, you can enter the full menu path with a hyphen and right arrow to divide each menu, for example, Library->Previews->Build Standard-Sized Previews.

Where can I find the exact command as it appears in the menu for increase/decrease brush size?
Thanks for your help!

Hi Marilene,

So I gather that the default square brackets on your French keyboard are not working. I am pretty sure that these are among a number of actions that have keboard shortcuts but do not have an associated menu entry.

Is the French keyboard layout active in your System Preferences, Keyboard, Input Sources tab? If not that might sort out the key mapping.

Otherwise are you using a laptop with a track pad? If so then while the brush is active you can use a two finger up swipe or down swipe control the brush size. Add the Shift key and the same gesture will change the feather percent. This also works on a Magic Mouse which is what I use all the time.

-louie

Thanks, Louie
So I gather that the default square brackets on your French keyboard are not working. I am pretty sure that these are among a number of actions that have keboard shortcuts but do not have an associated menu entry.
Yes, the [ and ] are not working. Btw, these don't have their own key on my keyboard, you need to use Shift+Option+) or (
Is the French keyboard layout active in your System Preferences, Keyboard, Input Sources tab? If not that might sort out the key mapping.
At the moment I'm on the Mac, so yes it is active.
I don't use a laptop, but iMac.

Where can I find the exact command as it appears in the menu for increase/decrease brush size?
The bad news... you can't. Those particular ones aren't listed in the menu, so the Translated Strings solution is the only one that would work to change that shortcut.

Translated Strings should be working, because that's where Adobe gets their own translations. Where did you put it? And what did you put inside it?

Translated Strings should be working, because that's where Adobe gets their own translations. Where did you put it? And what did you put inside it?
I created a txt file named TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt, pasted this: "$$$/AgDevelop/Toolbar/Retouch/BrushSize/Tooltip=Régler la taille de pinceau à l'aide du curseur, des touches « , » et « ; » ou de la molette de la souris" and placed the file in Ressources folder/en.lproj.

Maybe I mixed things up?

Bingo, that's just a translation string. The ones for shortcuts all seem to have Key in them. Try

"$$$/AgDevelop/Localized/BrushDecreaseKey=<"
"$$$/AgDevelop/Localized/BrushDecreaseKeyShifted=>"
"$$$/AgDevelop/Localized/BrushIncreaseKey=+"
"$$$/AgDevelop/Localized/BrushIncreaseKeyShifted=*"

The bad news... you can't. Those particular ones aren't listed in the menu, so the Translated Strings solution is the only one that would work to change that shortcut.
Now that helped a lot! Somehow the English commands don't work well, I fetched the same functions from the French file and copied them in the TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt file and now it's perfect! Thanks a lot, Victoria! I've been looking for this several years...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back