• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • You may have noticed this website was offline on Saturday 22nd September. Our web host suffered what is known as "a perfect storm". Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. As a result of restoring backups, we appear to have lost about 18 hours of posts, but hopefully nothing more. If your post seems to have been affected, please do repost, and we look forward to helping. If you have any questions, you're welcome to use the Contact Webmaster link on the page footer.
  • Lightroom Classic 7.5 and Lightroom CC 1.5 have just gone live, and there's some exciting mobile updates to follow. And the big news... my Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro book has just been released too!

Keyboard shortcut to delete pics from catalog AND file system

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
After importing pictures into the LR3 catalog, I often delete bad ones.

On my Mac I had been using OPTION-DELETE shortcut to bypass the dialog box.

However, I just noticed that this shortcut does NOT delete files from the hard disk, simply from the catalog :(

Is there a short to directly remove photos from catalog + file system ???

Regards

Max

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Got it. Sorry I asked before I googled it :oops:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Delete selected photo(s) and move to Recycling Bin (Windows) or Trash (Mac OS)
[/TD]
[TD="width: NaN%"]Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Backspace
[/TD]
[TD="width: NaN%"]Command + Option + Shift + Delete
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
No worries Max. It's fondly known as the 'splat-delete' :D

sizzlingbadger

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Max, I do a similar thing for small imports but I found that marking the images as rejected (using the x key) and then doing one big delete at the end via "delete rejected..." (command + del) is actually faster and allows you to change your mind ;)

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I do not use the shortcut key because there is no confirmation dialog that pops up telling you how many images are being deleted. You have no way of knowing if you are deleting one , the few selected images visible on the screen or several hundred selected images not visible on the screen.

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Cletus, you know you can see the number of photos selected in the breadcrumb bar along the top of the filmstrip?

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Cletus, you know you can see the number of photos selected in the breadcrumb bar along the top of the filmstrip?
To do that I first must expose the Filmstrip, then hit "Splat-delete" This takes longer and I still get no confirmation pop-up asking if I am sure I want to delete 5468 images from both the catalog and the hard drive. The OS always gives a warning dialog, Deleting from the Menu in LR gives a warning dialog. It is a bad coding practice to let the user delete files without giving a warning dialog. It is necessary to protect the stupid and sloppy from themselves. I will continue to delete images from the menu until I am no longer stupid or sloppy.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cletus,

When you find a cure for stupid and sloppy, please post, I could use a dose.

Art

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I've been looking for a way to "splat-delete", but I didn't know the word. Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Delete. It's going to be my favorite shortcut. Thank you!
My advise is: don't use this command. Read what Cletus said. Out of 100 times it will help you 99 times but the one time it goes wrong you have a lot of work. If you notice...
Learn the tool Lighroom and your workflow will be just as fast. Use the X to reject and then delete all rejected ones afterwards with one command. Easy and fast. No need for the 'splat-delete' at all.

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
My advise is: don't use this command. Read what Cletus said
Especially the part about protecting the stupid and sloppy from themselves. I don't think there is one of us here that can claim to being exempt from one or the other.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Got it. Sorry I asked before I googled it :oops:

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]Delete selected photo(s) and move to Recycling Bin (Windows) or Trash (Mac OS)
[/TD]
[TD="width: NaN%"]Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Backspace
[/TD]
[TD="width: NaN%"]Command + Option + Shift + Delete
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
"Command + Option + Shift + Delete". Thank you. :)