• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Library module Key words suggestion for location detail

Stephen Powell

Lightroom Version
Lightroom version: 6.14 [ 1149743 ]
Operating System
Windows 10
We have been doing major landscaping at our home. I wanted to have quick access to work in progress to various locations. I divided up our block into a grid. Added a grid reference like A, 2 or G, 6 to the images. Keyword search with Landscaping and Grid location finds all images. Landscape grid.JPG

Stephen Powell

How exactly are the keywords defined, and how exactly did you search?
I placed the numbers 1 - 5 and letters A-J in a Keyword folder. I use 1 set like B, 5 or a combination of these when the photo takes in a larger area. These are all treated as words by Lightroom when I do a Contains Words search.
This may be a solution to a problem that I did not know I had. I have a 25'X25' backyard garden with a goldfish pool. I take a lot of Nature photos, may not in my garden. This may work for me too.
Our garden is 100 by 400ft. I Geocode all my photographs. I don't use the GPS in my camera I carry a GPS and use Jeffrey Friedl's “Geoencoding Support” Plugin to match GPS data to images. However, in the case of my garden, this is not accurate enough and Keywording the grid position is quick.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
So A, B, C and 1, 2, 3 are separate keywords? Why not use A1, A2, A3, B1, B2, B3 etcetera. Searching for a single letter or number 'as word' might indeed not work as expected, searching for 'A3' as a single keyword should work just fine.

Stephen Powell

I would need to create a lot more Keywords however it would help isolate specific areas. For my purposes, the system I used narrowed the search sufficiently to make it workable. If the area covered more than one sector the number of images found reduced even further.