• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Keeping track of print versions

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_12

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi,

Is there an "elegant" way of keeping track of versions of prints? For example, let's say I have an image to print and I print it once. I think it might look better with some additional adjustments, so I adjust and print again. Let's say I do that a few times and have several prints to decide which I (or others) prefer.

What I do now is write on the prints, version 1, version 2, etc. And, if I like, say, version 3 the best, I go to the history panel for the third time I printed and print again (full size).

There must be a better way!

Thanks.

Steve

Virtual copies. Just make one each time you make a change to your print.

My flow is to have a Print collection. When I print an image, I do a soft proof, it first which gives the option for creating a copy with print adjustments. That goes into the print collection. From there, I print and tweak. making a new virtual copy if I think I may want both versions. In my case, I'm usually swapping paper types so I have a proof virtual copy for each paper/crop size. My print collection basically has every print I've done and I can go back and print exactly the way it was.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

I use snapshots if the adjustments were not specific to a printer/ink/paper profile. I simply name the snapshot the same as whatever version description I wrote on the print.

If I’m making versions that are tied to a specific output profile, then I’ll make a virtual copy (proof copy) based on the soft proof. To name a virtual copy, use the Copy Name field in the Metadata panel; again you can name it to match what you wrote on the print.

I need to look into print collections a little more, I'm sure they would be useful…

Virtual copies. Just make one each time you make a change to your print.

My flow is to have a Print collection. When I print an image, I do a soft proof, it first which gives the option for creating a copy with print adjustments. That goes into the print collection. From there, I print and tweak. making a new virtual copy if I think I may want both versions. In my case, I'm usually swapping paper types so I have a proof virtual copy for each paper/crop size. My print collection basically has every print I've done and I can go back and print exactly the way it was.

Hope that gives you some ideas.
Thank you for the idea.

I use snapshots if the adjustments were not specific to a printer/ink/paper profile. I simply name the snapshot the same as whatever version description I wrote on the print.

If I’m making versions that are tied to a specific output profile, then I’ll make a virtual copy (proof copy) based on the soft proof. To name a virtual copy, use the Copy Name field in the Metadata panel; again you can name it to match what you wrote on the print.

I need to look into print collections a little more, I'm sure they would be useful…
Thank you for the idea. I am familiar with snapshots but had not thought to use them in this context. Question: how do you identify the prints themselves? Do you actually write on them? As I understand it, the option to print the file name on the (test) print would not work because all prints are from the same file.

Hi,

Is there an "elegant" way of keeping track of versions of prints? For example, let's say I have an image to print and I print it once. I think it might look better with some additional adjustments, so I adjust and print again. Let's say I do that a few times and have several prints to decide which I (or others) prefer.

What I do now is write on the prints, version 1, version 2, etc. And, if I like, say, version 3 the best, I go to the history panel for the third time I printed and print again (full size).

There must be a better way!

Thanks.

Steve
On the Print Module, there is a field called "Photo Info". I print that on every image. I print in 8pt typeface on the bottom 0.02 margin of an otherwise borderless print. You can include one of several tokens (I generally use filename) One of the tokens is {Custom}. where you can print the texts that you can use to ID the version

Thank you for the idea. I am familiar with snapshots but had not thought to use them in this context. Question: how do you identify the prints themselves? Do you actually write on them? As I understand it, the option to print the file name on the (test) print would not work because all prints are from the same file.
It's because of the problem you mentioned that yeah, for test prints I do write on the print itself.
Because I have picked up two prints and forgotten which is which… :) And writing on it ensures it will never be mistaken for a final print.
Cletus’s idea sounds good though, taking advantage of that Custom print text field.

It's because of the problem you mentioned that yeah, for test prints I do write on the print itself.
Because I have picked up two prints and forgotten which is which… :) And writing on it ensures it will never be mistaken for a final print.
Cletus’s idea sounds good though, taking advantage of that Custom print text field.
Thank you.

On the Print Module, there is a field called "Photo Info". I print that on every image. I print in 8pt typeface on the bottom 0.02 margin of an otherwise borderless print. You can include one of several tokens (I generally use filename) One of the tokens is {Custom}. where you can print the texts that you can use to ID the version
Thank you. I'll give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back