• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Keep losing my metadata updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

craftysandy72

Sandy Steffens
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 2020
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi - I'm new here and I just upgraded from Lightroom 6 to Classic this week. I'm attempting to clean up my photos, and since I want them listed by the actual created on date, I have edited the date created in the metadata tab for my photos. When I leave LRCC and return, the dates have switched back to the original scanned dates. I have even hit control/save thinking I was saving the data, and I do have the automatic save set in my Lightroom catalog preferences.
Can anyone tell me why this is happening, or maybe what I'm doing wrong? It's quite frustrating!
Thanks!!!
-Sandy Steffens

Hmm, I don't know why your changes to the IPTC > Date Created field aren't sticking. However, due to other bugs in LR, when you change that field, you aren't actually changing the capture date as seen by other parts of LR and by external programs looking at the photo's metadata. To change capture date/time, do the menu command Metadata > Edit Capture Time.

Thank you for your reply. That is exactly what I did. I also added keywords to the photos, and they have also disappeared when I quit LR Classic and then logged in again. I don't recall having this problem with LR6. Could this be a bug?

Thank you for your reply. That is exactly what I did. I also added keywords to the photos, and they have also disappeared when I quit LR Classic and then logged in again. I don't recall having this problem with LR6. Could this be a bug?

Are you saying the keywords as seen in the catalog are no longer associated with the image that you previously assigned? Keywords are assigned to images as metadata in the catalog file. Only it you have set Lightroom Classic to automatically write changes to the non proprietary RAW files will you see the keyword when you look at the images files using Finder/Explorer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is correct about the keywords. I would consider myself a low-level intermediate on Lightroom, but I've been using it since Lightroom 4. In other words, I don't always understand some of the technical stuff. I do have LR set to automatically save, plus I've been manually saving each time. using command-s.
These photos I'm working on are
jpeg files from a scanner
stored on a plugged in an external hard drive
Thanks!

I haven't seen previous reports of this strange behavior. Perhaps if you made a screen recording of your entire LR window, applying a keyword, exiting LR, and then examining the photo to see the keyword gone, that might give details and clues about what might be going wrong. Upload the recording to Dropbox, Youtube, or similar and post the sharing link here.

I haven't seen previous reports of this strange behavior. Perhaps if you made a screen recording of your entire LR window, applying a keyword, exiting LR, and then examining the photo to see the keyword gone, that might give details and clues about what might be going wrong. Upload the recording to Dropbox, Youtube, or similar and post the sharing link here.
Thank you - I will see if I can do that. I will say it now seems to be hit and miss. The facial recognition keywords have remained each time I've closed and reopened LR.

Is there a chance you keep opening your old Lightroom 6 catalog file in the latest Lightroom Classic? If so, then each time you open it, Classic will "upgrade" the contents to the latest catalog format and save it to a new, different catalog file. So your metadata updates will be written to the new catalog, not the old LR 6 catalog. If you then open the LR6 catalog again, it will look like your metadata has disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back