• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

just bought an 8TB Lacie separate hard drive....

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshgold

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
v7.5
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
And I want to now transfer images (1.74 TB) from my knackered G-Drive. I would like to do this image transferring via Lightroom, is there a set way to do this please?
Cheers
Graham

In the folder panel, you click the + and choose "Add Folder". In the dialog the opens navigate to the Lacie volume and select a folder that you have created (using Finder) there Next, drag the top-level folder(s) and drop them pn their Sected folder.

The alternative is to exit LR and Move these folders using Finder . It is easiest if there is only on top most level folder. Once moved, open Lightroom and right click on the top level folder(s). Choose "update folder location" and find this folder on the Lacie.

Each method requires minimum effort.

Last edited:
The alternative is to exit LR and Move these folders using Finder . It is easiest if there is only on top most level folder. Once moved, open Lightroom and right click on the top level folder(s). Choose "update folder location" and find this folder on the Lacie.

I would recommend this method when moving a large volume of images between two hard drives. It is the safest in the event of any external system interruption. It will also be faster.

After you have copied all the images and updated the folder location in Lightroom and backed up the new drive then you can safely delete the images on the old drive or just leave them there for a while. I do highly recommend doing the backup as at least one person had their brand new drive completely fail after they deleted the original images and had not yet backed up the new hard drive. They ended up loosing their entire images library.

-louie

thanks everyone, done all as suggested above, but my LaCie drive has appeared in my hard drive drop down and not separately in the folders drop down, any ideas?
Cheers
Graham

Hi Graham,

That sounds normal. Each hard drive has its own section in the Folders panel. You won't see any folders there until there are actually images that Lightroom knows about.

Have you copied your images to the new hard drive? You might want reformat it first and give it a name that is more descriptive before connecting it to Lightroom. I always reformat new drives with Disk Utility just to make sure it is clean of all necessary data. Some manufactures insist on installing software on the drive.

-louie

thanks everyone, done all as suggested above, but my LaCie drive has appeared in my hard drive drop down and not separately in the folders drop down, any ideas?
Cheers
Graham
In the folder panel, you click the + and choose "Add Folder".
Once you have done this. The LaCie Volume will appear in the Folder panel.

Thanks but tried that, doesn’t work
Yes it does. You must be doing something wrong.
  1. Create a folder in the LaCie volume using Finder.
  2. In LR, click on the (+) in the Folder panel Header
  3. Choose "Add Folder..." from the drop down menu.
  4. A Finder dialog will open.
  5. Navigate to the LaCie Volume and select the folder that you created in step 1.
  6. Click the {Choose} button
  7. Your LaCie Volume will be now listed separately in the Folder panel and the folder that you selected will be nested under the LaCie volume heading.

Hi welshgold, welcome to the forum! So you said you've done it, so how did you go about moving the files? And what DOES show in the Folders panel now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back