• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

JPG images become darker when attached to Outlook email

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcbsubscriptions

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
* I process images in LR, then PS, and back to LR as .psd, if layers are preserved, and .tiff, if flattened. Easy way for me to differentiate. Then I want a .jpg for various reasons, mostly sharing. I follow procedure described by johnrellis several years ago on this Forum.
Export Location > Add To This Catalog
Export Location > Add To Stack: Below Original
File Settings > Image Format: JPEG
File Settings > Quality: 85 (anything higher isn't visually noticeable but takes much more space)
File Settings > Color Space: sRGB (if you'll view these primarily on the Web) or Adobe RGB (if you're primarily printing)
Metadata > Include: All Metadata
Metadata > Write Keywords As Lightroom Hierarchy
This will export the JPEGs back into the catalog, stacked below the TIFFs, with all the metadata preserved. Once the export completes, delete the TIFFs.
* When I want to share image in MS Outlook, I open new email screen, click Insert>Attach File>Brouse this PC>Open my LR picture file>Find image I want to share>click on it to insert.
* Problem: When I preview image in Outlook before sending, it opens my Windows viewer where image appears darker than it did in LR Loupe view.
* I have searched and searched for solution to no avail. Perhaps I am the only one having this problem. Any suggestions? Thank you.
* FYI: I use Windows 10, LR Classic/PS subscription, Dell tower XPS 8910, 3 years old with 6th Gen Intel Processor, 32mg RAM, 512GB solid state drive and and 2TB Hard Drive, AMD Radeon RX480 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics memory, and Asus 32" monitor calibrated monthly with new Calibrite ccProfiler.
* Thank you.

Most Windows apps, including Outlook, are not color-managed, that is, they ignore the color profile assigned to the display by your calibrator. On less-expensive displays that are close to sRGB, the difference in appearance between LR and those apps can be small, but on a wider-gamut display (which I assume your Asus 32" is), the difference can be jarring.

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about Outlook. Microsoft clearly doesn't care a whit about this issue, since not even the Windows Photos app is color-managed.

For checking your image before sending it, you can open it in your web browser - most (all?) web browsers are color-managed these days. Typing Ctrl-O in your browser will probably bring up the "Open File" dialog box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back