• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Jpg compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

blkjep3

Lightroom Version Number
Mobile v 6.3.1
Operating System
  1. iOS
I do my editing primarily on my iPad Pro in Lightroom. I have tried exporting my jpgs to files, to photos, even straight to the flash drive that i will be giving to my clients. And every time I/they put it in a pc, the files show up as far as listing and even recognize that they are jpgs, but always says computer cannot play these types of files. It has been the biggest pain I have ever come across as far as cross platform compatibility. Am I missing something simple here? TIA

A JPEG created by Lightroom or anything else will have the same construction. The media used to transfer the file needs to be in a universal file system That filesystem should be FAT32 or exFAT. The file(s) themselves need to be Permitted to READ and possibly Write for the user app that is reading the JPEG file.

I suspect it is one of the latter issues that are causing the problem. If you are formatting the media (Flash drive) as FAT32 or exFAT and the user has read/write permission to the files, then the user should be able to view the JPEG.

One other point. Just putting “.jpg” on a file does not make it a JPEG. This will not be an issue if you choose JPG as the file type in Lightroom export.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A JPEG created by Lightroom or anything else will have the same construction. The media used to transfer the file needs to be in a universal file system That filesystem should be FAT32 or exFAT. The file(s) themselves need to be Permitted to READ and possibly Write for the user app that is reading the JPEG file.

I suspect it is one of the latter issues that are causing the problem. If you are formatting the media (Flash drive) as FAT32 or exFAT and the user has read/write permission to the files, then the user should be able to view the JPEG.

One other point. Just putting “.jpg” on a file does not make it a JPEG. This will not be an issue if you choose JPG as the file type in Lightroom export.

Where in Lightroom mobile do I give the files permission to be read and written to?

Where in Lightroom mobile do I give the files permission to be read and written to?

Lightroom does not assign R/W Permissions This is something handled by the OS reading the file or disk. IOW it may not be at your end.

Lightroom does not assign R/W Permissions This is something handled by the OS reading the file or disk. IOW it may not be at your end.

‘Been there ‘done that.
When you list (on a PC) the content of an USB key (filled with jpg’s exported from an iPad), be aware that there are files named with an _ and ending in .jpg but being only a few KB in size.
You have to scroll down the list to finally get access to the correctly named jpg’s , that you can open without issue.
Of course the more you have pictures on the USB key, the loger you will have to scroll down to arrive at the correct .jpg’s.
The _ named ones must be some form of information needed by iOS but irrelevant to the PC world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back