• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

JPEG export lost GPS data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 12.0.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello

I am trying to export files that have GPS data. In the export dialogue box " include all metadata" is checked but GPS data is dropped.
Please advise how to correct.

Thankyou Ray

As well as "Include All Metadata", is "Remove Location Info" checked or unchecked? It needs to be unchecked if GPS data is to be included in the exported file.

As well as "Include All Metadata", is "Remove Location Info" checked or unchecked? It needs to be unchecked if GPS data is to be included in the exported file.
Thanks for responding
"Remove location info" is unchecked
Other suggestions?
Thanks Ray

If the GPS location is inside one of your "Saved Locations" in map module, there is a check box associated with the saved location to delete location info on export
1669750328784.png

If Califdan's suggestion about Saved Locations doesn't help: What's the format of the exported files and how are you checking them for GPS coordinates?

If Califdan's suggestion about Saved Locations doesn't help: What's the format of the exported files and how are you checking them for GPS coordinates?

The file begins as PSD file with GPS data and is exported as JPEG file. I check the exported file using LR and the GPS data is missing and sometimes JPEG file now has the wrong capture date/time. When the export is initiated sometimes there is an existing file with the same name in the target folder then I select overwrite the previous file

Thanks for your help
Ray

I suggest you upload the PSD file to Dropbox, Google Drive, Wetransfer, or similar and post the sharing link here. Then we can dig into what might be going wrong.

I suggest you upload the PSD file to Dropbox, Google Drive, Wetransfer, or similar and post the sharing link here. Then we can dig into what might be going wrong.
Thanks for asking

I have learned that if the folder I am exporting the JPEG file to, already has a file with the same name and I select "overwrite" the GPS data is not in the exported file. But if there in no file with the same name in the destination folder then the GPS data is included with the file
Here is a Dropbox link to an example PSD file. https://www.dropbox.com/s/j7je5o3f3i76xre/Bullock's Oriole 3.psd?dl=0
Hope it works
Thanks Ray

Hmm, I just tried exporting that sample PSD to the same folder with overwriting selected, and each time, the GPS coordinates are getting exported too (on both my Windows 10 LR 12.0.1 and Mac OS 12.6.1). I may not be doing the same precise steps you are. I think the most efficient way to troubleshoot what might be going wrong is if you could make a screen recording showing the entire process. (Note that videos made with your phone of the screen generally aren't useful.) Upload the recording to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.

Hmm, I just tried exporting that sample PSD to the same folder with overwriting selected, and each time, the GPS coordinates are getting exported too (on both my Windows 10 LR 12.0.1 and Mac OS 12.6.1). I may not be doing the same precise steps you are. I think the most efficient way to troubleshoot what might be going wrong is if you could make a screen recording showing the entire process. (Note that videos made with your phone of the screen generally aren't useful.) Upload the recording to Dropbox, Google Drive, or similar and post the sharing link here.
Thanks for helping. I hope I did what you needed
the link to the video is hopefully correct
Video

That video clarifies what's happening. You're exporting the PSD as a JPEG, adding it to the catalog. There was a previous JPEG of the same name already in the catalog, so you told Export to overwrite it. But LR doesn't re-read the metadata (including the GPS coordinates) from the file that it just overwrote. The badge in the upper-right corner indicates that the metadata on disk is newer than what's in the catalog:
1670276290366.png

Click on the badge and you'll be asked:
1670276246332.png

If you select Import Settings From Disk, LR will read in the GPS coordinates that were added by the most recent export. You can select more than one such photo and do Metadata > Read Metadata From File (but be careful to do this only with photos that were just updated by the export).

As you observed, the first time you exported the PSD back into the catalog, LR read in the metadata from the newly imported file. But when you overwrote it, LR didn't reread the metadata. You could file a bug report with Adobe, but my prediction is they'll classify it "as designed" (to minimize the number of open bugs and meet their management incentives) and ask you submit it as an "idea". In either case, I think it's highly unlikely they'll change such long standing behavior at this point.

Reactions: Ray
That video clarifies what's happening. You're exporting the PSD as a JPEG, adding it to the catalog. There was a previous JPEG of the same name already in the catalog, so you told Export to overwrite it. But LR doesn't re-read the metadata (including the GPS coordinates) from the file that it just overwrote. The badge in the upper-right corner indicates that the metadata on disk is newer than what's in the catalog:
View attachment 19863

Click on the badge and you'll be asked:
View attachment 19862

If you select Import Settings From Disk, LR will read in the GPS coordinates that were added by the most recent export. You can select more than one such photo and do Metadata > Read Metadata From File (but be careful to do this only with photos that were just updated by the export).

As you observed, the first time you exported the PSD back into the catalog, LR read in the metadata from the newly imported file. But when you overwrote it, LR didn't reread the metadata. You could file a bug report with Adobe, but my prediction is they'll classify it "as designed" (to minimize the number of open bugs and meet their management incentives) and ask you submit it as an "idea". In either case, I think it's highly unlikely they'll change such long standing behavior at this point.
Thanks for all your work and complete answer
Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back