• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

jpeg and raw stuck together

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralf11

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I cannot separate raw and jpg files in LR6. I changed the check box in Preferences, tried to Expand all Stacks, Synchronized the folder (tho there is nothing to Synchronize to) but cannot get them separated so i can do an HDR merge on 2 raw files - also rebooted LR6

Thx

If you have two raw files (at different exposures) you do not need the JPGs (that are hidden sidecar files)
Just select the raw files and -'Merge to HDR'.

How do I select only the raw files?

And how do I make sure I have done so, and not selected the jpg?

How do I select only the raw files?

And how do I make sure I have done so, and not selected the jpg?
What do you mean with ‘get them separated’ in your first message? There are two possibilities: either you see both the raw file as well as the jpeg file as separate photos in Lightroom. In that case you can simply select only the raw files by cmd-clicking on these. Or you do not see the jpeg file as a separate photo, but only mentioned in a small ‘raw+jpeg’ note. In that case you do not have to do anything. Just select the photos you want to merge.

I see a single image, not two images. The label on top of it says xxxx.RW2+JPEG.

The note is on the RH sidebar and lists the jpg and xmp as sidecar files.

So, the top label is giving me the cognitive dissonance, I guess.

I am still curious about what you are trying to achieve.
To [Merge to HDR] you need at least TWO (or more) files of the same file-type. eg. 2 x raw, 2 x jpg, 2 x DNG.
(You do not merge a RAW with a JPG)
In your Library Grid you select the two (or more) files to merge.
If you only see one file then either you did not expose (or import) more than one at different exposure settings, or you have them stacked so only one is visible.
In my screen-clip I show 3 images in my Library (3 x DNG raw files), and then the HDR (DNG) that was created.
2021-05-14 07_34_07-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

2021-05-14 07_34_43-Lightroom Catalog-v10 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg

I want to merge the two raw files marked A and B in this screengrab.

Attachments

• LR.jpg
    LR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 124
Then select both files- CLick on the A, hold down [Ctrl] as you click the mouse cursor on B to select both. Then press [Ctrl+H] to Merge to HDR.
Is that procedure not working for you?

You are seeing the previews of your raw RW2 files, and the JPG versions are NOT showing in the Library. That is as a result of the Preference option to 'NOT treat jpg files as separate photos'.

Last edited:
If you want to merge the images you marked A and B, then just select A and then shift-click on B to select that too. Then use the menu to merge them. Ignore the ‘raw+jpeg’ note because that is irrelevant.

By the way: if you want to select a discontinuous series of images, then you should use the Cmd-key, not the Ctrl-key like ‘I-see-light’ said, because you use a Mac. Ctrl-H as the shortcut for Merge to HDR works on both systems, however.

it merges something but how do I know it is merging the raw files and not the jpgs?

You'll just have to take our word for it that the jpeg half of a raw+jpeg "pair" is NEVER used by Lightroom Classic. LrC will only "touch" the jpeg file if you rename, move or delete the associated raw file, i.e. it will do exactly the same thing to the jpeg sidecar. But other than that, the jpeg file simply cannot be used at all.

You'll just have to take our word for it that the jpeg half of a raw+jpeg "pair" is NEVER used by Lightroom Classic. LrC will only "touch" the jpeg file if you rename, move or delete the associated raw file, i.e. it will do exactly the same thing to the jpeg sidecar. But other than that, the jpeg file simply cannot be used at all.
So why not just remove the JPGs?

So why not just remove the JPGs?
You could do that, but there is no reason to do that. Why is this becoming such a long thread? The answer has been given several times now, and the answer is as simple as it can be. Ignore those jpegs. They are not used as images and so they are not affecting the merging of raw files in any way.

it merges something but how do I know it is merging the raw files and not the jpgs?
If you do not trust us to give you the correct answer, why do you ask us a question in the first place?

Or- Asking @ralf11 , Why shoot in JPG at all?
This is the conclusion that many have arrived at. Just set the camera for 'raw' only, as you can edit your raw files 'better', and easily make JPGs (by Export) at any time to satisfy a need for a JPG file. And you do not have to contend with 'two' of every image on the hard-drive!

Or- Asking @ralf11 , Why shoot in JPG at all?
This is the conclusion that many have arrived at. Just set the camera for 'raw' only, as you can edit your raw files 'better', and easily make JPGs (by Export) at any time to satisfy a need for a JPG file. And you do not have to contend with 'two' of every image on the hard-drive!
That was the conclusion I came to after learning just the rudiments of Lightroom. I have never regretted that decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back