• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Javascript and the Photoshop 'crop and straighten' command

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidHoffman

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Adobe Lightroom Classic version: 8.4.1
Operating System
Can anyone help me with a bit of Javascript? I'm trimming big batches of 16 bpc layered tiff files in Photoshop. I've found a useful script by Jeffrey Tranberry <An photoshop batch script for crop & straighten photo from Jeffrey Tranberry> to batch Photoshop's ‘crop and straighten’ command but it only works on flat files or where the background layer is already selected and I know next to nothing of Javascript.

The background layer of my layered, 16 bit/channel tiff files is not selected when the file is opened so the ‘crop and straighten’ command fails. I could run a separate action on the batch to leave the background selected before I run the script but I'd rather add a step in the script to select the background layer before the script calls the crop and straighten command.

I can make the script work with this ‘flatten’ step:
app.activeDocument.flatten();
but I want to retain the layers when I save the final tiff so a 'flatten' step doesn't help.

I need to write a line to select the background layer in P'shop that I could use in place of the ‘flatten’ step above. The total number of layers will vary but the background will always be named 'background' and be at the bottom of the layer stack. How would I write that?

The script saves as jpg but I’d like to save as 16 bpc layered tiffs. That part of the script is:
//Save as a JPEG to the outputFolder
var jpegOptions = new JPEGSaveOptions();
jpegOptions.quality = 10;
jpegOptions.embedColorProfile = false;
app.activeDocument.saveAs( File( outputFolder + "/" + activeDocument.name + ".jpg"), jpegOptions, false);
How would I rewrite that to save as 16 bpc layered tiffs?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

David Hoffman

Have you downloaded the Photoshop scripting guide, David? I've done a bit of JS scripting with PS and would always go straight to the JS reference manual for detail, so I can see that TiffSaveOptions would replace the JPEG stuff.

John

Have you downloaded the Photoshop scripting guide, David? I've done a bit of JS scripting with PS and would always go straight to the JS reference manual for detail, so I can see that TiffSaveOptions would replace the JPEG stuff.

Thanks for that link John, it's definitely got the answer somewhere in it. I can see terms like 'activeLayer' and 'backgroundLayer' which are clearly part of my solution. I don't know the 'grammar' of Javascript so I can't yet see how to use those terms in a script line that says 'make backgroundLayer the activeLayer' but I'll read through some scripts and hopefully find the correct form.

There used to be lots of sample scripts in Adobe's download, David.

Hi John
I've found a few sites with sample scripts though I'm not sure if any are the Adobe site you mean. They take a lot of time to work through and read, particularly as I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for but I've found a few clues.

The existing line that I want to replace is:
app.activeDocument.flatten();
which works fine but isn't what I want.
I need to change it to a line that instead selects the background layer. From the scripts I've seen I've tried variations of this:
docRef.activeLayer = docRef.layers["Background”];
That line seems to work when I run it on its own in a minimal test script but when I paste it into the script get an "Unterminated string constant" error. I thought that would be a missing quote mark but that doesn't seem to be the case.
The var docRef is defined earlier so I don't think that's the problem.

So currently I need to find what may be wrong with the new line or find an alternative. And while I'm at I also need to write a line to change a file from 16 bpc to 8 bpc. A little progress but a way to go yet.

I haven't done any JS for years, but I couldn't help but notice a curly quote in your pasted line. Could be it?

I haven't done any JS for years, but I couldn't help but notice a curly quote in your pasted line. Could be it?
Well spotted! Thanks. My Mac does this, annoys Excel too, and I should really have learned to spot them by now. I'll test to see if that's the problem this evening and report back.

Many thanks Victoria - the curly quote was indeed the problem and the script is working nicely now. Very nice to get 100 massive files cropped while I make a coffee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back