• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Jan 11 "Ask Tim Grey" post - my question

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (and still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
classic 11.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
https://asktimgrey.com/.

I emailed this question to Tim about more than five color codes in Lightroom, base on one of his earlier postings.

I was hoping that there exists some Lua code to add additional colors but his answer refers to the ability to select multiple sets of color ratings.

I've never seen any hints that was possible.
Tim's original post was very ambiguous, and I puzzled over it for a while. Then I sent him this followup question.

FYI: The DAM software Photo Supreme (www.idimager.com) does or did support nine colors.

You might want to ask yourself if perhaps using color lables for whatever purpose you have is the best choice? Perhaps keywords or collections could work better and offer more than 5 values.

If you're convinced that color labels are the way to go, then you may want to modify your concept to use regular text lables (a color label is just a regular text lable that also causes the cell to be colored). With text labels you can have more than 5 and the text can say what that label actually means to you in your workflow. Albeit not as convenient as seeing the cells in color, but you can have more than 5.

You might want to ask yourself if perhaps using color lables for whatever purpose you have is the best choice? Perhaps keywords or collections could work better and offer more than 5 values.

If you're convinced that color labels are the way to go, then you may want to modify your concept to use regular text lables (a color label is just a regular text lable that also causes the cell to be colored). With text labels you can have more than 5 and the text can say what that label actually means to you in your workflow. Albeit not as convenient as seeing the cells in color, but you can have more than 5.
Dan,

I like using colored labels so I can see at a glance the workflow status of individual files, folders, and collections. I've managed to fit my workflow into five steps (colors) at the cost of detail. It is what it is.

I can't imagine Adobe, Camera Bits, et al, getting together to define more than five colors. They have lots of more important things to do. (And so do I, especially in the era of Covid). I'm not going to submit a feature request to Adobe for more than five colors.

Phil Burton

The range of colours is wider in other Adobe products (eg Premiere Pro) and I would expect that it's relatively cheap for Adobe to add more to Classic Lightroom - just defining those extra colours, no impact outside LR, and no effect on sync. So I'm disappointed that they have never given any indication of being open to changing this, and in fact failed to extend the feature to the cloudy Lightroom apps.

I'd just add that my pet want is to add a second colour label. But that's costlier to implement, and I'd be delighted to get more colours.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 09.21.09.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 09.21.09.png
    328.7 KB · Views: 101
The range of colours is wider in other Adobe products (eg Premiere Pro) and I would expect that it's relatively cheap for Adobe to add more to Classic Lightroom - just defining those extra colours, no impact outside LR, and no effect on sync. So I'm disappointed that they have never given any indication of being open to changing this, and in fact failed to extend the feature to the cloudy Lightroom apps.

I'd just add that my pet want is to add a second colour label. But that's costlier to implement, and I'd be delighted to get more colours.
John,

All good points. I suspect the larger issue is that Adobe has done relatively little in recent releases to enhance LIBRARY.

@RikkFlohr Is there any way that this group can raise this larger issue with Adobe management? Does this group have a seat at the table, or even a chair against the wall in the room with the table?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back