• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

I've lost my lightroom catalogue and two years of editing !

Mottie

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
4.x
Lightroom Version
LR 4
Operating System
macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi - Newbie here - and hoping you lovely people can help please ?

My mac ( late 2012) crashed and my local MacMan have got it going again. The time machine was backing everything up to a WD 1 TB hard drive, but 2 of these ( they supplied them) have failed now so I've lost faith in this route. Although I have a new external hard rive ( 3rd in 6 months) to back up everything, they moved all my photos that were in photos folders to documents, so this would back up to a the iCloud on a subscription basis ( £6 per month for 2 tb)
I've 'got my iMac back now, and the problem is I cannot now open my LR - this is LR 4, I installed on a disc.
I suspect its because all the photos were moved, and the menage I get when i open it LR catalog not found.
My options then are
create default catalogue or choose a different catalogue
I haven clicked on either as don't want to mess this up - there is a also a quit button.
Can anyone guide me here please - have I lost all my edits ?
I'm hoping not !
thank you :(

Johan Elzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
The fact that your photos were moved has nothing to do with this. That is something that is easy to fix, but you do need to find a backup of your catalog. Lightroom keeps all the edits in the catalog, so without it you lose all edits. If you know where it is, then start Lightroom and choose the option to open a different catalog, or start Lightroom by double-clicking this catalog.

Mottie

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
4.x
Thank you - I've managed to get back into the library - thank goodness - and thanks for your help :)