• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

It it true there is no option to print in the new LRcc

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewS

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System:

Lightroom Version:
(Please go to Help menu > System Info to double check the exact version number)

Question or Description of Problem:

Reading all the posts about the new wonder Lightroom one of the many things that concerns me is the suggestion printing has been ignored in Lightroom CC. Surely this can't be true?

It's true. So far. As has been pointed out several times, LR CC is only at version 1, and will have stuff added to it in future.

Killing the baby before it's taken its first breath Andrew? ;) You'll hear the fanfare when it's added, I'm sure, and then you can see if it suits you. It's very early days.

Killing the baby before it's taken its first breath Andrew? ;) You'll hear the fanfare when it's added, I'm sure, and then you can see if it suits you. It's very early days.
Very early days seems accurate. I'll sit back and wait, tone curves, printing, hierarchical keywording,. I'll monitor the forum, keep updated on the expert reviews and keep my fingers crossed. The overall concept seems great, cloud storage, usage across different hardware, but its got a long way to go.

The question is always what comes first. I remember Lightroom 1.0 beta. It did have a print module, but it did not have spot removal yet. So I told an Adobe representative who demonstrated the software that the printing module would be of little use without having a spot removal tool to clean up my images first. She was very surprised that I didn't want to print images with visible dust spots... :)

There is a product management concept called, "Minimum Viable Product," meaning which features must be in the product for it to be viable and competitive in the marketplace. Without printing, etc., etc., I would argue that Lightroom CC is not viable in the market for many people.

I'm amazed that they released this two-headed creation. Or quoting from the movie Casablanca, "shocked, shocked ..."

Phil

There is no excuse for Adobe to publish a product that requires immediate updates to correct oversights.

There is no excuse for Adobe to publish a product that requires immediate updates to correct oversights.
How do we know that updates to address deficiencies will be immediate?

Phil

This baby might be stillborn. Do consider that. There is no reason for any of us to be Adobe "Fanboys".

This baby might be stillborn. Do consider that. There is no reason for any of us to be Adobe "Fanboys".
Like the import dialog fiasco with 6.04 if I recall?

Tim

Lightroom 6.2 if I'm not mistaken. That was different because that was a bad change of an existing product. Lightroom CC is brand new and version 1.0. It's obvious that some functionality is still missing.

I was making reference to Cletus's comment that it might be stillborn. I probably should have been a little more clear. The import dialog has been resurrected as the new Lr CC!
You see the same design philosophies and goals; it would not surprise me the reaction Adobe received at that point is what created the new product. The timeline just about fits also, when you consider the fact that @Victoria Bampton has to have been testing it for a while (and still has a disorganized mess of files per her other posts) and the initial feature set is pretty solid. That stuff is not developed in a day, and when you consider the complexities in sync systems? That is a lot of design, coding and testing to make such core features work.

Tim

Lightroom CC was first shown as a 'sneek peek' at Adobe MAX 2016, if I'm not mistaken. I can't say how long it was available for beta-testing, but anyone can guess that it can't have been written in the last two weeks or even two months.

Lightroom CC is brand new and version 1.0. It's obvious that some functionality is still missing.
Yet it is being promoted as if it were the future and fully developed. If Adobe had said. "Here is our first release of what we hope to be our new flagship Product. Now all of the important features are there yet but stay tuned..." Then Lightroom CC would have been received for what it is, a start at making LR available through the cloud. All of the promotion is on Lightroom CC and none on Lightroom Classic. The Advertising hype implies that everyone should move to the cloud platform and pick up their workflow from where they left off. This is misleading and causes great confusion from those that NEED a fully functional LR app. Compounding that with the simultaneous gnashing of teeth over the demise of the perpetual license. Adobe deserves all of the bad press that they are bringing on them selves.

Last edited:
Yet it is being promoted as if it were the future and fully developed. If Adobe had said. "Here is our first release of what we hope to be our new flagship Product. Now all of the important features are there yet but stay tuned..." Then Lightroom CC would have been received for what it is, a start at making LR available through the cloud. All of the promotion is on Lightroom CC and none on Lightroom Classic. The Advertising hype implies that everyone should move to the cloud platform and pick up their workflow from where they left off. This is misleading and causes great confusion from those that NEED a fully functional LR app. Compounding that with the simultaneous gnashing of teeth over the demise of the perpetual license. Adobe deserves all of the bad press that they are bringing on them selves.

I agree with that. The problem isn't Lightroom CC itself. That is a nice enough product, especially considering that it's the version 1.0 release. The problem is that it takes the name of the established product, and is already promoted as 'the future of photography', even though it's clearly still in its infancy. It's like saying that a six month old baby is the next president of the USA. No, I don't think that is a good analogy, because that is already true.

It's like saying that a six month old baby is the next president of the USA. No, I don't think that is a good analogy, because that is already true.
See what happens when you promote something that is ready before it is ready... "Trump, the cloud based app formerly known as Lightroom CC";)

I kinda see it as Lr Mobile App for the Desktop. And although you can print from an app, that's not done as much as sharing. I expect the sharing, aside from FB, to grow. And to probably include printing. I suppose this might deter Lr CC-only subscribers though, although I'd bet a lot don't do much printing.

I completely agree they've messed up their marketing, at least as far as existing users go. For new users starting photography now, it probably is the way to go. But they sure have scared a lot of users in the process.

As to whether it's stillborn, we'll have to wait and see. Adobe are betting the house on this, so they must have some pretty good evidence to support the decisions.

I have been using it for quite some time now. I was very skeptical to start with, and let's be honest, I'm probably among the more advanced Lightroom users, so I was convinced I wouldn't like it. I was wrong. It has massively grown on me. It's made photography fun again, rather than fighting bugs constantly. It's still lacking some features that I need, so I don't see most existing Lightroom users switching anytime soon, but I can see its potential.

I know this is an old tread but I couldn’t see a new one. I encouraged my dad to upgrade from v6, when it stopped working after latest Mac Software release (yes he should have waited), to the shiny new Lightroom CC. He tells me it can’t print; My question is whether we think it is a function that will ever be added or not. Any thoughts? Many thanks! Mark .

I know this is an old tread but I couldn’t see a new one. I encouraged my dad to upgrade from v6, when it stopped working after latest Mac Software release (yes he should have waited), to the shiny new Lightroom CC. He tells me it can’t print; My question is whether we think it is a function that will ever be added or not. Any thoughts? Many thanks! Mark .
I can't answer that, but why didn't you advise him to upgrade to Lightroom Classic?

I can't answer that, but why didn't you advise him to upgrade to Lightroom Classic?
Well the full detail, if it helps, was that I actually recommend he let me review which one to go for. (Since I use classic) However he’s an impatient fellow and just returned from a tiger watching holiday and couldn’t help himself. He thought 1TB of storage was good and he didn’t use Photoshop so ‘no brainier’ right? To be fair though; even if I’d done the research I think I wound have still just assumed you could print.

I think there's more to it than just printing or having Photoshop or not. Lightroom Classic is the Lightroom he knows, Lightroom cloud is a new application. That alone would be a good reason to consider Lightroom Classic, unless he had specific reasons to prefer Lightroom cloud. But yes, dads making up their own minds... What can you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back