• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

It appears that something has corrupted an NEF file...maybe LR5??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roscoe17

I don't know for show what damaged the file, but what I can say is that I just now noticed it as I upgrade my LR catalog in LR5.

Here is the picture I posted to Smugmug many years ago of the Eiffel tower
Paris_day_5_054-M.jpg

Here is what it looks like now in LR, CS6, and any viewer I use (clearly the file is corrupted)
Paris_day_5_054-M.jpg

Needless to say I'm not happy...odd part most programs don't actually touch the inside of a raw file except the preview, CNX2 being the notable exception. Note I think I processed these in 2005 with Raw Shooter Express long before LR or CNX existed, and long before I discovered PS.

Thoughts and/or ideas?

The file was likely corrupted by the file system writing to that drive or the drive media might be getting old and bad sectors are starting to develop. You will need to recover this file from your permanent back up if you have one. Since it is likely this drive is beginning to fail, there may be other files in this sector or other bad sectors.

it was not LR, PS, or CNX that caused the problem, but the file system that accesses the drive.

Last edited:
In addition to what Cletus said, you ought to be thinking hard about replacing that hard drive. At a minimum, find a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic for the drive and run it.

Conceivably, the problem could be caused by bad RAM. Find a memory diagnostic that runs on Macs and run that, too. :)

Hal

p.s., I just noticed that you have a couple other current posts that are also talking about bad files. That makes hardware problems even more probable.

Last edited:
Forget about bad RAM, unless your OS is also crashing regularly

Compare it to your backup copy ..................

Too old...that backup failed a long time ago.

I don't think I have a bad drive because it's a NAS with RAID and the device is reporting all drives as healthy

Too old...that backup failed a long time ago.

Oops!!!! I learnt the lesson a long time ago ... Backup, Backup & Backup again!! Files corrupt & drives fail for no apparent reason. I have 4 'copies' of my photos, the 'working' files, 2 backups on separate internal drives and a backup on a removable drive that is kept in a friend's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back