• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Issue with link to raw files and dated Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joonz

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
Can anyone help with an issue I've got with Lightroom 5. I plugged in a new hard drive yesterday which had the same name as the hard drive I use to store my raw files (in hind site I should have changed the name). When I tuned on my computer today and went into my lightroom 5 the dated folders in my catalog were no longer linked to the raw files. I changed the name of the other hard drive and tried to link one folder back to the original source which then set up a new catalog for that folder, so I decided to shut lightroom down, unplug the other hard drive and when I turned everything back on, the dated catalog was gone and just that one folder that I linked remained! How can I get the dated catalog back and then link the folders back to the raw files without losing all the edited information? Thank you

You should have simply reconnected the old drive, nothing else. I can’t tell you what happened to your catalog, but it may be a matter of just opening it in Lightroom. By default, Lightroom opens the most recent one, so the new one you created. There is a Recent Catalogs menu, or else just use the ‘Open Catalog’ menu amd find the original one.

Thanks Johan
I never disconnect the old hard drive, it's just that both hard drives were called the same thing and lightroom then got confused. I have renamed the new hard drive, which is why I shut everything down, as I thought it would re-connect with the old hard drive but it didn't. I haven't lost all the catalog images, they are just All Photographs rather than in date older folders like I had them.
Should I go into File - Open Catalog or File - Open Recent Catalog?

You should have renamed the old hard drive, not the new one. The new one should get the name that the old one had, so Lightroom thinks it’s the old disk.
I haven't lost all the catalog images, they are just All Photographs rather than in date older folders like I had them.
‘All Photographs’ is a collection. It’s not possible to have images only in that collection and not in any folder. The folder panel must show the folders too. Maybe the panel (or the folders) are just shown collapsed?

Should I go into File - Open Catalog or File - Open Recent Catalog?
If you currently have that newly created catalog open, then yes. Go there and open the original catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back