• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Is there any way to see my Camera serial number in Lightroom 6.8?

stevemurrayphotos

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
My camera has been stolen and I don't recall registering it with Sony, but I know that LR can separate cameras by serial number, just don't know how to see what serial number it associates with my ILCE7M2 - is there any way to see the serial number or am I out of luck? Help!

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
You can probably do it:
5-2 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library_2017-03-08_12-53-22.jpg

Note that we're looking at EXIF data. My Nikons don't show a serial number, but your Sony may.

stevevp

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
My Nikon does show the serial number now I know where to look! :)

stevemurrayphotos

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Thanks for trying, Hal, I've tried the LR Exif field and Jeff Friedl's viewer but doesn't look like its recorded or viewable, unfortunately.

Gnits

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Jeff Friedl's viewer

If using Jeff metadata viewer ... use the search option and type in 'serial'. If possible use a raw file. I discovered I could not find a serial number on my exported jpgs, maybe becasue Lr was not parsing this specific metadata.

upload_2017-3-8_18-30-5.png

rob211

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hmm. I wonder why Lr reports my Oly serial number, but not the Pentax. Both have the serial in the original MakerNotes, but Lr shows the former in exif, not the latter. And "internal serial number" is different from "serial number," the last being the true serial found on the camera body, at least with my cameras. Dunno what the difference is for.

Gnits

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Different manufacturers do different things. I was frustrated I could not find a Sony Serial number in Lr. I wanted to be able to recognise what camera I was using as part of my Lr import process. exiftool allows me to find the Internal Serial number, which uniquely identifies my Sony camera. This may be of some use to the person who had his camera stolen. I think it is bad form by Sony that they do not make the official serial number available through Lr metadata. I must check how the internal serial number compares to the actual serial number. If I find out they are the same or different I will post here.

Wernfried

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Have a look at Phil's Exiftool.

In case "Serial Number" is empty in your EXIF then you could copy "Internal Serial Number" to "Serial Number" before you do your import into LR. Command would be similar to this:

Code:
exiftool "-SerialNumber<InternalSerialNumber" -tagsfromfile "c:\your_folder\*.jpg"
In case you prefer not to modify your RAW files, you can also create XMP sidecar files similar to this:

Code:
exiftool "-SerialNumber<InternalSerialNumber" -tagsfromfile "c:\your_folder\*.jpg"  -InternalSerialNumber %d%f.xmp
This would create a XMP sidecar file containing only the new tag.

Best Regards
Wernfried

Gnits

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Well summarised.

I will note for future reference. I have my own app which copies my images from card to disk. I use ExifTool, combined with a database list of my cameras, which handles all the logic I need relating to serial numbers. I was driven to this to evolve my own efficient workflow, but was probably influenced to take this step based on the absence of the Sony serial number in Lr.

In terms of searching for a stolen camera based on a serial number, I am not sure that those search tools take the Internal Serial number into account.

rob211

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
What's the difference between "internal serial number" and "serial number"? My cameras have both. Is it just that: an internal, not written on the body number inserted by the firmware?

And I still don't get why Lr reads serial numbers (not internal serial numbers) and puts it into a "camera serial number" field for my Oly camera, but doesn't do the same for my Pentax. They're in the same tag in exif I believe. ORF vs DNG, but I would't think that would matter.

Gnits

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
The implication of what you have reported is that Lr has different code / logic per maker. Probably not surprising, as they may all have their own custom metadata fields buried within their files.