Is there any way to compare

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael8765

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I’m upgrading my old 2012 MacBook Pro 15” which had 16gb RAM (the highest RAM that machine came with). It was fast in its day. What is todays closest equivalent, given the file sizes we are dealing with now?

I cannot say if there is a direct comparison, but it you want to tap into the newer features of LR Classic, then more RAM is a good idea. The new Apple M chips are quite efficient, and RAM is also used efficiently, so I would suggest looking at 16GB or 32GB machines. The latter would obviously be better, but I am not sure what your budget will support. You may also want to look at the various levels of processors, as I believe that Apple offers RAM configurations based on the chip series.

Good luck,

--Ken

I cannot say if there is a direct comparison, but it you want to tap into the newer features of LR Classic, then more RAM is a good idea. The new Apple M chips are quite efficient, and RAM is also used efficiently, so I would suggest looking at 16GB or 32GB machines. The latter would obviously be better, but I am not sure what your budget will support. You may also want to look at the various levels of processors, as I believe that Apple offers RAM configurations based on the chip series.

Good luck,

--Ken
Thanks Ken

Thanks Ken
One more thing, which you may already know. More RAM will often buy you a longer useful life in a machine, especially one that cannot be upgraded. If 64GB is affordable, it is probably worth consideration, but that does put you near the top of the heap, especially for a laptop. Laptop purchases are always a bit of a compromise, especially on a limited budget. I'd see what your budget allows and ask questions if you have to make some final decisions. There are a number of Mac users who can give you feedback based on their experiences. I am a Windows guy when it comes to computers.

--Ken

One more thing, which you may already know. More RAM will often buy you a longer useful life in a machine, especially one that cannot be upgraded. If 64GB is affordable, it is probably worth consideration, but that does put you near the top of the heap, especially for a laptop. Laptop purchases are always a bit of a compromise, especially on a limited budget. I'd see what your budget allows and ask questions if you have to make some final decisions. There are a number of Mac users who can give you feedback based on their experiences. I am a Windows guy when it comes to computers.

--Ken
Good advice re: RAM and longevity - as you say, it would be helpful to also hear from some Mac users and ask more questions - thx again Ken

FWIW my partner runs Lr on an M1 MacBook Pro (16G RAM) and doesn't have any issues.

Because the RAM is integrated within the M1 architecture ("System on a Chip") it is much faster and used more efficiently.

Also, I run Lr on my M2 MacBook Air with only 8GB RAM - I haven't noticed any lag or other issues.

In comparison, on my Intel 2018 Mac mini with 32GB RAM, I sometimes (but quite rarely) experience a bit of lag, especially with masking tools.

FWIW my partner runs Lr on an M1 MacBook Pro (16G RAM) and doesn't have any issues.

Because the RAM is integrated within the M1 architecture ("System on a Chip") it is much faster and used more efficiently.

Also, I run Lr on my M2 MacBook Air with only 8GB RAM - I haven't noticed any lag or other issues.

In comparison, on my Intel 2018 Mac mini with 32GB RAM, I sometimes (but quite rarely) experience a bit of lag, especially with masking tools.
Very helpful - thx Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back