• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Is there any way to compare two photos one above the other instead of side by side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vbnut

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 12.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
For years I've successfully used compare mode extensively to select the best one or more photos from a group of photos. Most of the time viewing the photos side-by-side works fine, but occasionally for photos will be eventually be cropped short and wide (sort of pano shaped) it would be easier if I could compare them viewing one photo above the other. Is there some way that I have missed to change library compare mode to display one photo above the other? If not is there a already feature request for it that I could vote for, or could one be created?

Solution
In Develop, Reference View

1675065350159.png
As far as I know there is no option for and over/under option in the Compare View. However, I suppose you can select the two photos and use the survey view, then narrow down the LrC applicaiton window till the two images go over/under (haven't tried and don't have LrC available right now but may work)

In Develop, Reference View

1675065350159.png

Solution
As far as I know there is no option for and over/under option in the Compare View. However, I suppose you can select the two photos and use the survey view, then narrow down the LrC applicaiton window till the two images go over/under (haven't tried and don't have LrC available right now but may work)
Survey View tries to use the space available. You are correct, narrowing the display works. First open both side panels and then use your mouse to grab one of the side edges and narrow LR until the space between the side panels is a vertical.

Survey View tries to use the space available. You are correct, narrowing the display works. First open both side panels and then use your mouse to grab one of the side edges and narrow LR until the space between the side panels is a vertical.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that is going to work for me. When I'm doing anything that involves viewing or editing photos, I have LrC full-screen to take advantage of my 32" QHD monitor. to see as much detail as possible. Narrowing the window pretty much defeats the purpose of having a large, hi-res display.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that is going to work for me. When I'm doing anything that involves viewing or editing photos, I have LrC full-screen to take advantage of my 32" QHD monitor. to see as much detail as possible. Narrowing the window pretty much defeats the purpose of having a large, hi-res display.

Have you considered two monitors? I have a dual monitor setup with Lightroom I can compare both images full size with no loss of resolution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you considered two monitors? I have a dual monitor setup with Lightroom I can compare both images full size with no loss of resolution

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have used multi-monitor setups at various times during my 40 years in the software industry, and I found that don't really like them and prefer a single large monitor. In my current home office, where I do my photo processing, I don't have space for a second monitor.

There might be another solution. I keep the Secondary Display window open to display alternate views of the source or selection. I do that on another display, but you use only one display. I was originally going to suggest keeping the Secondary Display open in Survey mode next to the Lightroom Classic application window, but then you said you don’t want to make the application window narrower.

Then it occurred to me that the Secondary Display could be shown temporarily over the application window. If that is acceptable, then to compare two images on top of the other, you would press Shift + N (the keyboard shortcut for Window > Secondary Display > Survey). That command opens the Secondary Display window into Survey mode. When you’re done, press Shift+N again and the window closes.

The Secondary Display window might not initially open to display two selected images as a vertical stack, but if you set that up once it should remember that size and position every time you open it. Demo below.

Some advantages of this method over Reference Mode is that Survey can compare more than two images, and Secondary Display works with any module. Reference Mode forces a switch into the Develop module.

Lightroom Classic Survey Secondary Display over app window.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back