• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

is there a script to backup lightroom & photoshop preferences under mac osx ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantra

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  2. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi
is there a script to backup and maybe restore lightroom & photoshop preferences under mac ?
i run high sierra and mojave

i'm worried about osx permisssion and tons of pages about how to fix osx permissions and tool like onyx

i would like to know if i can simply backup zipping the preferences of lightroom and photoshop and maybe if there is a script to do it and maybe restore them

i know it's no the right forum , but i haven't found the right subforum

in the lightroom version i have 8.3.1 , but i have older version too , like photoshop i have installed the lastest ,but i keep older versions
thanks
best regards

Are you not using Time Machine? That is, I believe the simplest way to back up everything including all system files and preferences.

Short of that you could use the automation features of Carbon Copy Cloner or Chronosync to selectively backup the preference folders.

-louie

You don't need a script. You only need to use TimeMachine to backup all of your critical user data. Since you asked the question without an obvious reference to TimeMachine, let me know if you need help setting up TimeMachine.

Are you not using Time Machine? That is, I believe the simplest way to back up everything including all system files and preferences.

Short of that you could use the automation features of Carbon Copy Cloner or Chronosync to selectively backup the preference folders.

-louie
You don't need a script. You only need to use TimeMachine to backup all of your critical user data. Since you asked the question without an obvious reference to TimeMachine, let me know if you need help setting up TimeMachine.
Hi Louie & Cletus
I dont' use TimeMachine
i have installed Carbon Copy Cloner Trial just to backup my operation system before the update to mojave , i guess i will buy it
but can i do with finder , under windows i use a simple bat to backup the lightroom preferences and restore them
can i do manually?

about timemachine , can i exclude all my operation disk (high sierra & mojave ) and select only the folders with lightroom and photoshop preferences?
i don't want to create a bootable disk , i have my external portable trascend hard disk with 2 partitions ,one is exfat so i can read and write quickly under windows

thanks , appreciate your help!

Hi Louie & Cletus
I dont' use TimeMachine
i have installed Carbon Copy Cloner Trial just to backup my operation system before the update to mojave , i guess i will buy it
Why buy a backup app when TimeMachine is free and probably better than anything on the market
but can i do with finder , under windows i use a simple bat to backup the lightroom preferences and restore them
can i do manually?
You can use Automator to create a script. It is pretty intuitive and uses a GUI to visually build conditional processes
about timemachine , can i exclude all my operation disk (high sierra & mojave ) and select only the folders with lightroom and photoshop preferences?
i don't want to create a bootable disk , i have my external portable trascend hard disk with 2 partitions ,one is exfat so i can read and write quickly under windows

thanks , appreciate your help!
Time Machine opens with an Apple selected set of folders to backup. You can modify this by adding or excluding folders. The default excludes any attached volumes but you can easily backup every attached volume on your system as long as the target volume is large enough to accommodate the full backup. The TimeMachine target volume needs to be HFS but the source volumes can be exFAT.

Why buy a backup app when TimeMachine is free and probably better than anything on the marketYou can use Automator to create a script. It is pretty intuitive and uses a GUI to visually build conditional processesTime Machine opens with an Apple selected set of folders to backup. You can modify this by adding or excluding folders. The default excludes any attached volumes but you can easily backup every attached volume on your system as long as the target volume is large enough to accommodate the full backup. The TimeMachine target volume needs to be HFS but the source volumes can be exFAT.
Hi Cletus
You can modify this by adding or excluding folders
i don't want that Timemachine will make my hd bootable , can i do it ? (can find any option about it)
should i exclude the ssd of sierra or mojave and add the folder i want?
might you post a screenshot ?
thanks

Time Machine doesn't make bootable backups. To use it to backup just a few folders is technically possible, but very impractical. Any new folders that are saved to your disk after you have set up the backup would have to be excluded again.

I don't believe that the Time Machine disk is bootable. In any case what is your concern?

-louie
Time Machine doesn't make bootable backups. To use it to backup just a few folders is technically possible, but very impractical. Any new folders that are saved to your disk after you have set up the backup would have to be excluded again.

hi
i have read about before "update to mojave" create an backup with carbon copy cloner or TimeMachine
thanks

Any new folders that are saved to your disk after you have set up the backup would have to be excluded again.
If you exclude a "parent" folder, then any "child" folders created there will be excluded. For instance, I exclude the Previews folder. New sub folders are created in the Previews folder all the time and never get backed up. If I created a new file/folder at the same level as the Previews folder it would be subject to a TimeMachine backup unless I excluded it.

i have read about before "update to mojave" create an backup with carbon copy cloner or TimeMachine
When installing an Operating system on a new formatted Primary drive, the MacOS install gives you the option to restore from a TimeMachine backup, an OS downloaded from Apple's website or another computer. This is why you want to always have a good backup of all of your critical user data and settings.

When your primary hard drive fails, you will replace it with a new disk. This disk needs to be initialized and have an OS installed TimeMachine is a good source for your last OS update, your system preferences, your apps and all of your user data. You can not boot from a TimeMachine disk. and the data on the disk is compressed into a sparse bundle file.

If you exclude a "parent" folder, then any "child" folders created there will be excluded. For instance, I exclude the Previews folder. New sub folders are created in the Previews folder all the time and never get backed up. If I created a new file/folder at the same level as the Previews folder it would be subject to a TimeMachine backup unless I excluded it.
True, but the new folder I mentioned may not be a child folder. It could be a ‘sibling’ folder. If you want to backup your Lightroom catalog folder, then you can’t exclude your Pictures folder (assuming the catalog folder is in this default location), for example. And that means that any new folder you add to the Pictures folder will have to be excluded manually.

If you want to backup your Lightroom catalog folder, then you can’t exclude your Pictures folder (assuming the catalog folder is in this default location), for example. And that means that any new folder you add to the Pictures folder will have to be excluded manually.
Not exactly true. For this is what I have done. However I excluded all of the subfolders EXCEPT the /Lightroom folder and. I did this one time, the first time I opened the Options tab all at one selection. If you let LR manage your folders then you don't have to worry about a accidental folder getting added to /Pictures And any time you add a folder outside of Lightroom, you need to ask yourself one question: Do I want TimeMachine to back up the contents? If No, then put the folder inside a folder already excluded.If Yes, then put the folder inside a folder already being backed up.y "/Pictures/Lightroom" folder contains a "/Pictures/Lightroom/Pictures" folder for all of my imports and does get backed up as well as a "/Pictures/Lightroom/[Catalog Name] Previews.lrdata" that is excluded from backup.

FWIW, m

Well, it seems you just confirmed my point. It can be done, but it’s pretty inconvenient. I do use Time Machine to backup my entire hard disk, but I use something else (Carbon Copy Cloner) to make specific backups like this.

Well, it seems you just confirmed my point. It can be done, but it’s pretty inconvenient. I do use Time Machine to backup my entire hard disk, but I use something else (Carbon Copy Cloner) to make specific backups like this.
I guess we disagree on "inconvenient". I set my TimMachine up on two different machines years ago and it was basically a one time thing. I have not touched the options panel since except to look to see exactly how I set it up.

I guess we do. I find it inconvenient if I would have to think about things like backups each time I create a subfolder in my Pictures folder. I would also find it inconvenient if I can't use Time Machine for its true purpose (to make a full disk backup) because I am already using it for something else (some one folder backup).

I find it inconvenient if I would have to think about things like backups each time I create a subfolder in my Pictures folder.
For me, it is not that complicated. The only folder that I care to backup in the Pictures folder is the Lightroom Folder which contains my catalog, my images (in subfolders) and my Previews. And I exclude the previews folders. A Sub folder of the Pictures folder is the only significant other folder and is where I only create exports using a Publish Service and this subfolder is excluded from backup because I can recreate any thing that gets created there. Also excluded are my Photos Library and my Cloudy Lightroom library. Once set up, I don't have to think about it.
My photos and the contents of the /Pictures folder are only managed by Lightroom, the Photos app and the Cloudy Lightroom App. I don't care to have those apps create anything that needs be backed up.

I guess we disagree on "inconvenient". I set my TimMachine up on two different machines years ago and it was basically a one time thing. I have not touched the options panel since except to look to see exactly how I set it up.
hi
well i 'm tring to configure TimeMachine now
i want to exclude everything but not lightroom adn photoshop preferences
it's hard because both are stored in :/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/
in " /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/" there is a lot of data , i need only lightroom and photoshop

Lightroom Classic: /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist
Lightroom 6: /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.Lightroom6.plist

according Adobe webpage Preference file and other file locations | Lightroom Classic and Lightroom 6
thanks

Time Machine stores its backups on the external disk you tell it to store them.
hi
i mean , the backups are inside folders ,do you know where does it store the backups
i know i need another disk , but where does it store ?
thanks

i want to exclude everything but not lightroom adn photoshop preferences
it's hard because both are stored in :/Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/
in " /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/" there is a lot of data , i need only lightroom and photoshop
"need only lightroom and photoshop". is a "wrong thinking" statement. Using TimeMachine for just Lightroom and Photoshop is not very practical or wise. There are lots of "Cloning" apps that will do that job. Time Machine and other true backup apps are designed for protection against catastrophic failure of the Disk drive or "stupid user mistakes". You have a lot of other critical data that should be included in any backup scheme. All of your settings and preferences are important not just Adobe's
My user Library Folder is only 32GBs (smaller than one on my original image files). When your disk drive fails, you will be very glad to be able to recover everything in your user Library folder.

i mean , the backups are inside folders ,do you know where does it store the backups
i know i need another disk , but where does it store ?
Once you mount the other disk, and designate it as the TimeMachine Backup disk, it is managed by TimeMachine and Time machine creates a sparse bundle called 'Backups.backupdb'. This is a folder that will contain timestamp named folders for each time TimeMachine runs a backup. These folders contain the folders and files that are backed up during that instance of the TimeMachine backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back