• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Is there a consultant I can engage to assist me in cleaning up my lightroom folders and catalogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonysaya1

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
CC
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am so goofed up and I am trying to clean up my lightroom database. I think I have duplicatd my entire database. Long story short is thee a lightroom consultant I can hire to assist me in cleaning up this or should I just start over. No guarantee that will be right either.

No need to start over. You probably are looking for a local consultant. One needs to know where you live to get that help. Checking for local Adobe groups, especially Lightroom would be your best bet.

Telling us what your problem is with some details here might get you started resolving your issues. And that won't cost you.

Well i own book "The missing FAQ" and started working through missing folders, pictures etc. ended up with a lot of corrections but in my "catalog" it appears I have duplicated my entire catalog in my folders there is 35,000+- pictures while 70,000+- in the catalog. Many of the greyed out appear to be "duplicates" wondering if there is a process whereby I can select all the duplicates and delete them kind of scary though as how do i know if they are all duplicates?

You can always make contact with our very own CalifDan.

Hey Tony, there is a guy I can recommend for screensharing, but if you show us screenshots of what you can see, we may be able to help you fix and save you some cash in the process!

Depending upon the town you live in, there may be resources for free.
In Green Valley AZ, we have a couple of camera clubs and computer clubs that will have experts who would be willing to help. In nearby Tucson there is also a larger camera club. It would also be easier if you had everything on a laptop so you could go to a club meeting or "help" session and bring along the problem.

Well i own book "The missing FAQ" and started working through missing folders, pictures etc. ended up with a lot of corrections but in my "catalog" it appears I have duplicated my entire catalog in my folders there is 35,000+- pictures while 70,000+- in the catalog. Many of the greyed out appear to be "duplicates" wondering if there is a process whereby I can select all the duplicates and delete them kind of scary though as how do i know if they are all duplicates?
It sounds like you reimported your 35000 images at some point. Probably because you moved the originals using Window Explorer OR they were on an external drive and Windows changed the drive letter.
The first step before deleting anything is to right click on one of the missing images, choose "Show in Explorer" and see where LR recorded the path when the image was cataloged by LR. If It is on a Drive letter that does not show up in Windows Explorer, then this is part of your problem.

Hey Tony, there is a guy I can recommend for screensharing, but if you show us screenshots of what you can see, we may be able to help you fix and save you some cash in the process!
Thanks Victoria I received some tips that I will try first but I may seek your sources contact information shortly

It sounds like you reimported your 35000 images at some point. Probably because you moved the originals using Window Explorer OR they were on an external drive and Windows changed the drive letter.
The first step before deleting anything is to right click on one of the missing images, choose "Show in Explorer" and see where LR recorded the path when the image was cataloged by LR. If It is on a Drive letter that does not show up in Windows Explorer, then this is part of your problem.
I went back through explorer here is the message I received "The file is asociated with another photo in the catalog"Each file can only be associated with one photo

I provide 1 on 1 LR Classic help (and tutoring) for a modest hourly fee. I am in Palo Alto CA but can also do remote logon sessions. contact me directly if interested or see the LR Help page on my website LIGHTROOM HELP

I went back through explorer here is the message I received "The file is asociated with another photo in the catalog"Each file can only be associated with one photo
It does look like Windows changed your Drive letter and you re-imported. Now perhaps the Windows has reverted to the Drive letter that existed before you reimported making the second copy show up as "missing" in LR. When you try to associate this catalog entry with the current present location, there is a catalog entry (because of the double import) that uses this file at its present path.
CalifDan might be you best bet if there is not some one local that can help you. We Gurus don't normally offer our services here for a fee as we are all volunteers. However, even I have been known to make "house calls" (Once to Stonehaven in Scotland).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back