Status
Not open for further replies.

Camera Bug

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
LR 10.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I had a couple of hundred old analog photos scanned by a commercial service as 1200 dpi JPEGs. I plan on making edits in Lightroom. Should I save my edits as TIFFs, or is it fine to save them as JPEGs. It is my understanding that everyime I save a file as a JPEG that some of the information was being lost, but it is also my understanding that edits in lightroom are non-destructive. I actually don't even see a way to save as a TIFF other than exporting the file as a TIFF, and then deleting the original JPEG since there is no file, save as command in lightroom.

The second question is did I make a mistake by having by specifying JPEGs? In the future as I have more analog photos scanned should I specify Tiffs?

In LR, you don't "save" once you have done edits. The edits done in LR are stored in its catalog. The original images aren't modified. Once you've finished your edits (in one or several sessions, it doesn't matter), you use the "export" function to ask LrC to create a new file containing the image with the edits. In the export parameters, you will be able to choose the type (Tiff, jpeg, psd...) of the file, depending of its future use.

In answer to your second question, if you plan on doing post processing to your scans, then you would ideally want a 48-bit TIFF if possible from the vendor. A 16-bit file will give you a bit more "headroom" when editing assuming that it was natively scanned at a 16-bit file and not an 8-bit resaved.

--Ken

In LR, you don't "save" once you have done edits. The edits done in LR are stored in its catalog. The original images aren't modified. Once you've finished your edits (in one or several sessions, it doesn't matter), you use the "export" function to ask LrC to create a new file containing the image with the edits. In the export parameters, you will be able to choose the type (Tiff, jpeg, psd...) of the file, depending of its future use.
Makes sense. Thank you

In answer to your second question, if you plan on doing post processing to your scans, then you would ideally want a 48-bit TIFF if possible from the vendor. A 16-bit file will give you a bit more "headroom" when editing assuming that it was natively scanned at a 16-bit file and not an 8-bit resaved.

--Ken
Do I understand that the 48 bit file is a different way of specifying a 16 bit file for each of the three color channels? That is, asking for a 16 bit file is sort of the same thing as asking for a 48 bit file?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back