• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Is 'Offline grace period' for license or each installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPlow42

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
My understanding is with the annual subscription, after being offline for one month + 99 days, Adobe invalidates one's license. I'm sometimes away from home for months. Would using CC on my laptop or phone keep my license valid? Links to an Adobe source of the answer appreciated.

I can't link you to a source. Are you away from home or really out of reach of an internet connection for over 30 days? All you need to do is let the Creative Cloud App Manager reach Adobe to check in periodically. Probably every thirty days. You can install LR on two machines. One can be a laptop and that would keep your license current. As long as you are paying your monthly fee, there is no way that Adobe would invalidate your license.
Even if you stop the subscription, LR does not stop working. Your existing catalog remains is is and you lose the ability to import and develop new images.

As long as you are paying your monthly fee, there is no way that Adobe would invalidate your license.

The opposite of validate is invalidate. From Adobe:
You can use the apps in offline mode with a valid software license for a limited period. The apps attempt to validate your software license every 30 days. You receive a reminder to reconnect to the Internet to validate your license:
<screen shot>
In offline mode, annual Creative Cloud members get 99 days of grace period; month-to-month members get 30 days of grace period.

Internet connectivity, offline grace period, and reminders | Adobe Creative Cloud apps

There is also "revalidate". I think you have found the source from Adobe. If you are going to be away from an internet connection for 30 or 99 days I would suggest that you contact Adobe before hand and see if there is going to be a problem when you exceed your grace period.

You apparently found something at that link that I didn't. Can you copy it to here?
I think perhaps you are reading too much into the link. I simply don't hold to a attitude that Adobe is out to screw their customers.
"After one calendar month + 99 days, one final offline product launch is available." If you are offline for 129 days and can't reach an internet connection to revalidate, You have two remaining options: 1.) LR downgrades to limited functionality UNTIL you revalidate. You don't shut down LR that last time since if you do LR downgrades to limited functionality UNTIL you revalidate.

I think perhaps you are reading too much into the link. I simply don't hold to a attitude that Adobe is out to screw their customers.
"After one calendar month + 99 days, one final offline product launch is available." If you are offline for 129 days and can't reach an internet connection to revalidate, You have two remaining options: 1.) LR downgrades to limited functionality UNTIL you revalidate. You don't shut down LR that last time since if you do LR downgrades to limited functionality UNTIL you revalidate.

Or you simply set the internal clock of your computer one month back (but do that earlier than after the last warning)...

My questions still are:
>Is 'Offline grace period' for license or each installation?
>Would using CC on my laptop or phone keep my license valid?

My questions still are:
>Is 'Offline grace period' for license or each installation?
>Would using CC on my laptop or phone keep my license valid?
You License is validated by each computer running the Adobe Creative Cloud Application Manager. If you have a Laptop, then the Laptop will validate itself every thirty days unless there is no internet available. If you (like many of us) have a LR install on both a laptop and a Desktop. Each machine will need to validate itself. If you go away for 6 months your Desktop will revalidate when it is next booted up 6 months later. If neither machine is in contact with Adobe during the 129+ day period The App will stop working on those machines until you are able to revalidate via an internet connection.

There is no LR app for the phone Other than LR Mobile nor is there a Adobe CC App Manager, so the phone does not nor can not enter into the process. I to still have an unanswered question: Are your really going to be out of reach of an internet connection for over 30 days (129+days) and need to use LR while you travel?

You License is validated by each computer ..**snip**.. via an internet connection.
Got it, thanks.

I to still have an unanswered question: Are your really going to be out of reach of an internet connection for over 30 days (129+days) and need to use LR while you travel?
It takes 2 to validate: the net and a machine. Robberies and burglaries of foreigners are not uncommon where I'm going for an open-ended stay. I don't mind much losing a netbook but if doing so and not being able to get home in time to validate from my PC (which I now know isn't necessary) would have made me reconsider starting LR CC until after my time in that country.

Just to be clear....your Lightroom subscription doesn't come to an end if you don't have internet access for the 30/99 day period (assuming you continue to pay the subscription fees). All that should happen is that Lightroom will go into the "reduced functionality" mode (everything working apart from the Develop and Map modules) until such time as you are able to sign back in.

Just to be clear....your Lightroom subscription doesn't come to an end if you don't have internet access for the 30/99 day period (assuming you continue to pay the subscription fees). All that should happen is that Lightroom will go into the "reduced functionality" mode (everything working apart from the Develop and Map modules) until such time as you are able to sign back in.
Just to be clear, my understanding from the link in post #3 is reduced functionality mode ceases at the end of the grace period, leaving the software non-functional until one can sign back in. Correct?

Just to be clear, my understanding from the link in post #3 is reduced functionality mode ceases at the end of the grace period, leaving the software non-functional until one can sign back in. Correct?

No, I don't believe so. Nowhere in that post is the "reduced functionality mode" mentioned, i.e. you should have full functionality throughout the grace period. My understanding that the line "your product will stop working" actually means that it will enter the "reduced functionality mode". But as I haven't personally tested that scenario, I'll check with Adobe and if I hear differently I'll report back.

My understanding that the line "your product will stop working" actually means that it will enter the "reduced functionality mode". But as I haven't personally tested that scenario, I'll check with Adobe and if I hear differently I'll report back.
That is my understanding too, and I've spoken to people who accidentally ended up in that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back