• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Is my understanding correct? (Colour spaces & display profiles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB94

Evening all,

So I have been doing some self research on what colour space is & how it works within photography and post processing, however there is one area I would like some confirmation if I may of my understanding.

I currently use an iMac 27” 5k 2020, using the default ’iMac’ Display Colour Profile along with Lightroom Classic & PS, where I also use the default colour settings within each software. The only thing I do change, is the colour space to sRGB when I export my jpgs which are always for web & digital viewing. I also have no interest in calibrating my system for the level of photography I do and they fact I’m happy with the result I currently get :)

However after doing the research I have noticed one thing now (never noticed it before), so just want to check my understanding of linking it to my research. But essentially I have noticed on my iMac that even when using the default display profile, if I view an image I've not exported or like the desktop icon graphics or FB for example, the colours look slightly different colour wise to images viewed in LrC or PS or ones (jpgs) I have exported and viewing say on Flickr.

Is this because when using those kinds of software or viewing images I have proceed and exported, they are colour managed software and so use their own colour profile (sRGB ect..) within the actual software/website/image space, which is what you see (overriding the display profile). But then if viewing something that isn't colour profile managed like desktop graphics or certain website, then you just see the colours as per your displays current colour display profile?

Thanks

Okay I apologies but I have just had a thought! I think I’m being stupid aren’t I!!!!

Of course images will look different in Lr & my exported because I have processed them to look different? So the reason why the desktop icons may look de saturated compared to the colours of an image in Lr, would be because I processed it to have more saturation then the icons? So like Maciej Maths Skyba has said it’s nothing to do with application dependency or colour Profile difference. It’s purely because the different images are the way I processed them?

If that right, I feel a right donut now! Sorry

Some browser are color managed and others are not. The same is true for apps. The image needs to be viewed in a browser or another app. Color managed apps will honor the embedded color profile in the image file. Apps that are not color managed will display unpredictably. Lightroom Classic is color managed and will process the images using the ProPhotoRGB and display using the color profile used by your monitor.

If you view the same processed image using different apps (color managed and not color managed) you will see differences in the non color managed apps. All color managed app should honor the embedded color profile in the image file and render the same over all colormanaged apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some browser are color managed and others are not. The same is true for apps. The image needs to be viewed in a browser or another app. Color managed apps will honor the embedded color profile in the image file. Apps that are not color managed will display unpredictably. Lightroom Classic is color managed and will process the images using the ProPhotoRGB and display using the color profile used by your monitor.

If you view the same processed image using different apps (color managed and not color managed) you will see differences in the non color managed apps. All color managed app should honor the embedded color profile in the image file and render the same over all colormanaged apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ahh brilliant! Thank you so much Cletus for confirming my understanding & I’m glad to know that I was thinking along the right lines :)

On a side note, as I say I have no intentions of using proper calibration hardware/software, so with that in mind, is there a recommended in built factory display profile to use on the 5k iMacs? Or am I right in just using the default (which I believe has a good level of calibration from Apple)?

I have a calibration tool that I use to calibrate my monitor. There is no guarantee that if you send a color signal to a pixel from an app that the true color will bee displayed. That is the purpose of the icc color profile tuned to your monitor performance. Without a colorimeter to tune your specific monitor, there is a Calibration button in the Display preferences "Color" panel. you can tune your monitor there using the "Mark I" eyeball.

For standard display profiles for an Apple Monitor, I find that the "Display P3" color profile comes closest to my calibrated color profiles.

Last edited:
I have a calibration tool that I use to calibrate my monitor. There is no guarantee that if you send a color signal to a pixel from an app that the true color will bee displayed. That is the purpose of the icc color profile turned to your monitor performance. Without a colorimeter to tune your specific monitor, there is a Calibration button in the Display preferences "Color" panel. you can tune your monitor there using the "Mark I" eyeball.

For standard display profiles for an Apple Monitor, I find that the "Display P3" color profile comes closest to my calibrated color profiles.
I see, of course I do understand to get the best colour for the monitor you can’t beat a calibration tool, but that no you for your tips of what I can do though. And also thank you very much for the tip of the P3 Display Profile, I will definitely give that one a go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back