• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Is my catalog toast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atj777

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I quit Lightroom this morning at around 8:30am. I accepted it doing a backup as I wouldn't be home for a few hours.

When I got home it was still optimising the catalog. I tried to cancel and now it is stuck.

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 4.19.32 pm.png

I know I can kill the app from Activity Monitor but don't want to lose a couple of weeks of work.

"Optimise the Catalog" occurs AFTER the catalog file has been tested for integrity and a zipped up copy of the current catalog has been made. You should have a zipped up copy of the catalog in the usual location. And a new copy of the original catalog in the usual location. Since your canceled the process, it is possible that the current copy of the catalog has not been optimized. You can do this optimization manually from the Library Edit menu.

Please verify that the original catalog is intact and that the backup has been made and all is well.

Quit LR and create a copy of the catalog and stick it in your backups before you go any further. Then after reopening LR (perhaps at bedtime!) run Optimize again from the File menu and see if it completes ok.

Quit LR and create a copy of the catalog and stick it in your backups before you go any further. Then after reopening LR (perhaps at bedtime!) run Optimize again from the File menu and see if it completes ok.
That is pretty much what I did yesterday.

It took around an hour for it to finish "cancelling..." from the backup/optimisation after the backup/optimisation hadn't finished after around 8 hours.

Once it finished and LR quit (which was what I was doing in the first place) I made a copy of the catalog, rebooted the computer, started LR, optimised the catalog (which took around 30 minutes). I quit LR again and skipped the backup and made another copy of the catalog. I started LR again, quit and removed optimise from the backup screen and then let it do a backup with integrity check. That only took around 20 minutes. I will leave the optimise part out of the backup from now on and just do it manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back