• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Is Lightroom Cloud Storage reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rctneil

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Cloud
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi,

As part of a transition to a new MacBook Air for my Mum, I recommended her to move to Lightroom Cloud as she was getting rather confused with the Classic version.

Her machine doesn't have a massive amount of internal storage. She's been transferring over to this for a few weeks now and has the majority of her photos on LR Cloud now.

Is LR Cloud storage reliable? Do I need to find a way to back her photos up elsewhere? Basically, can I rely on it as storage for her photos?

Neil

Solution
Do you mean the option under Local Storage? This is more like a cache, so files can be deleted, but it might be covered by a backup procedure.
I am talking about the Lightroom (cloudy) app for MacBook Air. In Preferences there is an option to "Store a copy of all originals at the specified location", This can be an EHD and this designated folder can be part of the TimeMachine Backup.
It appears as reliable as any cloud storage, but don't you feel any need to backup the photos regardless of LR cloud's reliability?

Let's say she accidentally deletes a photo. For about 100 days it will be in Cloudy's Deleted Items, which is OK if she notices her mistake or changes her mind - but then it's gone.

It appears as reliable as any cloud storage, but don't you feel any need to backup the photos regardless of LR cloud's reliability?

Let's say she accidentally deletes a photo. For about 100 days it will be in Cloudy's Deleted Items, which is OK if she notices her mistake or changes her mind - but then it's gone.
Oh absolutely. I think I need to get her an external disk to back them up onto. Is there a nice workflow that allows backups of the photos onto a local disk?

Nothing other than whatever you put in place. You might see if she can get into the habit of copying files from the card to the hard drive, then importing into Cloudy. But this will omit images that get into the LR Cloud by other means, such as phone pictures which come through LR Mobile.

Nothing other than whatever you put in place. You might see if she can get into the habit of copying files from the card to the hard drive, then importing into Cloudy. But this will omit images that get into the LR Cloud by other means, such as phone pictures which come through LR Mobile.

Lightroom will make a local copy of every file imported if you choose that option in preferences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you mean the option under Local Storage? This is more like a cache, so files can be deleted, but it might be covered by a backup procedure.

I am talking about the Lightroom (cloudy) app for MacBook Air. In Preferences there is an option to "Store a copy of all originals at the specified location", This can be an EHD and this designated folder can be part of the TimeMachine Backup.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back