• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Is it saved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbabe

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
An odd question for you I'm sure, but after editing a photo in LR 6.9, is the edit automatically saved as I go or if not, whats the procedure for saving the edited /adjusted photo?

An odd question for you I'm sure, but after editing a photo in LR 6.9, is the edit automatically saved as I go or if not, whats the procedure for saving the edited /adjusted photo?

Yep, it's saved as you go. It writes writes all your edits as instructions into the catalog file (parametric/non-destructive editing), so make sure you often/always backup your catalog. If you want to view those edits outside of Lightroom, like for sending them to someone else, you need to specifically "Export" them, in your choice of Jpeg/tiff/DNG. .... Note also, that you could accomplish that by using DNG with 'full-size previews' set in the preferences - and doing a 'save metadata to file'. That inserts a full-size jpeg with the current edits (at the time you did 'save metadata to file') into the DNG - so the single DNG file contains both the original data and the jpeg 'snapshot'. When double-click viewing the DNG outside of LR, the Jpeg preview with your edits would show by default.

Last edited:
Hoggy-Thank you. Is that accomplished automatically when choosing as DNG? or could I have missed a step somewhere. By full size, do you mean 1:1 ?

Lightroom is a parametric editor. That means that edits are not carried out directly on the image, but are stored in the catalog. What you see is a preview of how the edits look, not the edited original. So this has nothing to do with the file format, and whether or not you convert to DNG. It happens with every type of image file that Lightroom supports.

I don't work with DNG myself, but I believe that Hoggy was not entirely correct. 'Save Metadata to File' saves the edits to the metadata as well (it still saves them to the catalog too). If you use a proprietary raw file, then that will be saved as a separate xmp 'sidecar' file. If you use DNG, it will be stored inside the DNG metadata. AFAIK, this does not update the DNG preview however. Lightroom has a separate menu for that: 'Metadata - Update DNG Preview & Metadata'.

AFAIK, this does not update the DNG preview however. Lightroom has a separate menu for that: 'Metadata - Update DNG Preview & Metadata'.

oops.. Yep, that is correct. Brain-fart-moment. :)

I'll take from this that any changes are indeed saved, one way or another, as I go and theres no need to hit "return" or any other method other than moving on to the next photo or closing down LR. Thank you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back