• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Is it safe to delete one of a pair of images, one of which is RAW and the other jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaJZ

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I had raw pictures from my Canon camera and imported them into LRC - then I did some edits and a jpeg was created [ie IMG_6868.CR3 = IMG_6868.jpeg] - I am fine with working with the jpegs [we are not talking about fine art here = otherwise I'd keep the raw files of course]. But if I have the raw file and the edited jpeg can I safely Reject [X] the Raw one so I only have the jpeg one to work with in the future? And Delete from Disk or just LRC??

Yes as long as you are seeing two seperate images in the Grid and not seeing one image with a file type of RAW+JPG.

If you delete the RAW file, of course all the edits you did on the raw file will be deleted with the file but some may be present in the Jpg if they had been done in RAW prior to creating the Jpg from the RAW. However, those will not appear in the history panel of the Jpg.

Great and thanks == these are not pics that must be saved in RAW nor even worry about jpeg = I don't want to lose the pics but do want to save space...much appreciate the answer [yes they are both showing up in the grid = not RAW+JPEG [which I don't know what that means but in any case I'll move forward -

@VictoriaJZ said: RAW+JPEG [which I don't know what that means

If there is both a RAW and a JPG in the same folder with the same file name (just the extension is different), the default import operation from LrC is to treat the pair as if they were one image. In this case you would only get 1 preview in the grid and film strip which referres to both images and if you do any file operations such as a rename or move to a different folder or drive, LrC knows to do the operation on both at the same time.

If there is both a RAW and a JPG in the same folder with the same file name (just the extension is different), the default import operation from LrC is to treat the pair as if they were one image. In this case you would only get 1 preview in the grid and film strip which referres to both images and if you do any file operations such as a rename or move to a different folder or drive, LrC knows to do the operation on both at the same time.
@Califdan

Dan, I seem to recall that there is a specific procedure to follow if you import the RAW+JPG as just one image, and then want to remove just the JPB file. Is that procedure still rquired for LrC 12?

At the bottom of Dan's post he mentions a script I've made available here. I think it's the easiest way to get rid of sidecar JPEGs and use it daily.

@Califdan What happens to the catalog if you simply delete JPG files without running your script?

Phil

The script only does what you can do yourself - in Explorer it deletes the JPEG part of a Raw+JPEG. The catalogue is unaffected and still shows Raw+JPEG, which you can fix only by running Folder > Synchronize or renaming the raw files. The only difference is that the script is much quicker.

You can easily test this yourself.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back