• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Is it possible to import RAW photos from Camera to Lightroom for iPad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddycochrane

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Ok, Surely I'm missing something here. I've been playing around with Lightroom mobile and seeing how it would integrate with my existing (hobbyist) workflow and from what i can understand it doesn't really make sense to me?!?
Ok, picture this scenario (no pun intended) - I'm holiday, so naturally I don't have my PC desktop with me. I have my DSLR camera and my iPad because I want to travel reasonably light (I don't own a laptop).
I take a few hundred RAW photos over the course of 3 day, I have some spare time to review the photos and hopefully make some minor corrections to them, select the good ones and delete the bad ones in order to save time when I get back home. Naturally, I'm assuming my iPad along with lightroom Mobile would be ideal for this task.
The idea would be to Import the Raw images from my camera, review the photos on my iPad in Lightroom, make a few adjustments here and there, knowing that when I get home on my PC everything I've done is going to be already synced.
The above seems fairly reasonable, however sadly it isn't. Because for some reason it is not possible to import raw images from my camera into lightroom mobile?!?!
In light of this, I'm totally failing to understand the point of this application. Why would anyone bother to import their photos into Lightroom Desktop, only to sync them to Lightroom mobile, does anyone think its better do the editing on their iPad? Surely once I'm back home there would be no reason to want to edit on my iPad when my PC is sitting next to me?
I can however see the point and immense value in being able to make basic adjustments while away from ones PC and have the ability to automatically sync these adjustments with my PC, so that the bulk, or at least a part, of the work is already done before I'm even home.
I'd be delighted if someone could point out what I'm missing, because for the life of me I cant see it!!
Cheers,
P.

You can add images from the iDevice into a collection in LR mobile, by adding them to the Camera Roll and using Auto-Import, and they will sync back to the desktop app. Note at this time Raw is not supported, only Jpeg.

Ah. The intermediate step of the camera roll.

I was looking at the Apple Camera connection kit in a store today, it uses the "old" connector on one end and USB on the other (or SD adapter). My iPad mini uses the lightning connector. Now I do have an adapter for the old to lightning connector I assume that would work? And since it is not a powered device I could not use a card reader; one of my cameras I use frequently uses CF cards so I would need to attach the camera and not a card reader which would require power, correct? I just got the iPad and am ready to start experimenting.

Thank you, Jack Henry. Unfortunately my main camera uses only CF memory cards, not SD cards. I do plan someday to purchase another camera that would use SD cards however that will be another major investment. I am already heavily invested in Olympus equipment, an Olympus E-1, E-3, and E-PM1 (which is the only one that uses SD cards) and am considering purchasing an OMD E-M1 since I already have a variety of lenses. The adapter I have is the Apple Lightning to 30 pin adapter but I know it's never good to use adapters.

They do a lightning to usb too - just avoid the 30 pin one.

in that case hbottjer, you need this one. And then a normal USB CF Card reader.

Or buy a Nikon 800 (or several other models) and you can use BOTH SD & CF cards. I do NOT understand the reasoning on that decision.......

It might be too late for the Nikon as I am so heavily invested in the Olympus line already (lenses, flashes, etc.) I can try the lightning to USB cable but am concerned that the card reader might need to be powered and the iPad might not provide the power needed. First step is to really get my LR catalog organized in a way I can best leverage LR Mobile! Thanks for your assistance and replies.

Try a lightning to USB adaptor, plugged into the camera rather than a card reader. The camera provides the power needed, so that works fine. That's what the lightning to usb adaptor was built for in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back